Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 24, 2024 - @206.05 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 53/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links
| | |-+  ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings
| | | |-+  I started a webring: Retroweb Ring

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I started a webring: Retroweb Ring  (Read 1345 times)
BradE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: June 27, 2022 @662.58 »

I started a new webring, Retroweb Ring https://indieseek.xyz/webring/

At first I was only going to allow retro personal static sites, but then I got thinking that it's the personal part that was most important and that some people express themselves with static sites and others with blogs (which are retro too) and still others do both, so I included both. It's the person and their act of web creation that matters.

I got inspired by surfing a bunch of webrings listed in Sadgrl's excellent webring directory and having great fun.

Way back when I used to run several webrings on Webring.com (before Yahoo borged it), Ringsurf.com and Bomis and I had fun doing it although they were a lot of work.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022 @727.81 by BradE » Logged
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022 @706.62 »

Cool! Theres actually is a bit of a webring shortage at the moment! The Low Tech Ring seems to be dead, the Yesterweb is too big and a lot of the smaller ones are very niche. Im interested to see that you're planning to enforce people having the ring code on their sites! Most rings today are very lax about that, it can be kind sad if your tryna follow a ring and you end up on a site that wont let you continue. I wish you luck! :ozwomp:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022 @754.00 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
BradE
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022 @743.02 »

Cool! Theres actually is a bit of a webring shortage at the moment! The Low Tech Ring seems to be dead, the Yesterweb is too big and a lot of the smaller ones are very niche. Im interested to see that you're planning to enforce people having the ring code on their sites! Most rings today are very lax about that, it can be kind sad if your tryna follow a ring and you end up on a site that wont let you continue. I wish you luck! :ozwomp:

Thanks for the good wishes!

I think I used the phrase "protect the navigational integrity of the ring" in my pompous webring nastygram enforcement emails in the old days.  :cheesy: I do hope to patrol regularly.

Also, I'm going to keep the ring to about 200 - 250 sites max. It becomes too hard to manage if it grows larger.

The ring host I'm on is pretty basic. The older ring hosts like Webringo have things like ringcode checkers and dead site checkers which make running a webring a lot easier. The host I'm using is more spartan.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

I started a blog!

Started by MelooonBoard ☆ ∙ Showcase & Links

Replies: 0
Views: 1030
Last post May 16, 2022 @437.16
by Melooon
Are there any good resources on how to get started on C++?

Started by easy_breezyBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1144
Last post February 19, 2022 @957.49
by Melooon
Does anyone think it would be a good idea to start a FPS webring?

Started by BritKneeBoard ☮︎ ∙ Other Communities & Webrings

Replies: 4
Views: 1265
Last post November 29, 2023 @658.16
by myleszey

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi