Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 23, 2024 - @640.54 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 27/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology & Archiving
| | |-+  minidiscs!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: minidiscs!  (Read 731 times)
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« on: December 12, 2022 @644.00 »

there's been some good discussion here lately about mp3 players and cassettes, so i thought i'd bring up my personal favorite media format - minidisc!

minidisc is a magneto-optical music format that combines the best parts of CDs (high-quality digital audio and random access) and cassettes (small, re-recordable, and virtually indestructible) into a tiny, beautiful package that still feels just as futuristic today as it did 30 years ago. i've recently started a small collection of MD walkmans (walkmen??) and some cool discs, and it's become my favorite method to listen to music both at home and on the go.

one of my favorite things about the format is just how cool the discs and players look! it seems like everyone who designed MD stuff knew just how cool it is and went all-out to show it. who wouldn't want to be a member of the BIT CLUB?

so is anyone else here into minidiscs (or just curious about it)? show off your favorite players and discs here!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022 @649.70 by Frost Sheridan » Logged

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022 @931.49 »

I've never had mini discs but that is possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. Is there a good place to get them? Shall I search the depths of Ebay?

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Kutan

Chitter Critter

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022 @978.26 »

Ooh, my partner has a bunch of minidisc stuff! He's done some videos, too; I should ask if he wants to sign up and show off his collection... :omg:

I wish minidisc had caught on here in the US! By the time NetMD came along, it would have been exactly what I was looking for. I never got an MP3 player because I couldn't really justify the expense, but MD seems like the perfect mix of affordability, form factor, and audio quality that I would have gone for. Instead I was just burning tons of single-write CD-Rs and throwing them in a binder... :sad:

Is there a good place to get them? Shall I search the depths of Ebay?
If you buy them from Yahoo Auctions Japan and use a proxy service (my partner uses Jauce), the prices are super affordable! Not so much on Ebay. There's that video Techmoan did where he's opening those big bags of loose, untested MD players he ordered from Japan... and then he shows he's got 3 more bags like it. There's just so many to go around if you look there :grin:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022 @108.78 by Kutan » Logged

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022 @994.05 »

I remember them being advertised in 2001 but by then my family already had an iPod so they seemed kinda outdated at the time.

However, I got into them back in 2017 when I got my first player! (after seeing a bunch of youtubers into them) However it ended up having a fault and I stopped using it pretty soon. After that I got really into them again in 2020 during the pandemic.. but BOTH my players from then also have faults now.. so I have no reliable players :ohdear: Ugh minidiscs are hard, but I love the format.

(This is me recording the soundtrack from SSX tricky to minidisc via the PS2 optical output - also thats my custom made 2 tone ps2!)

Ozwomp Online had cosmic minidiscs you could visit to learn about the galaxy and Ozwomps Voyage used them for level progression. Mostly I'm a Sony fanboy :tongue:

Techmoan has a BUNCH on Minidisc and so does Ms Mad Lemon on youtube!
(EDIT omg you beat me too it Kutan :ozwomp:)

Ms Mad Lemon has a nice lil documentary on them:

They are very cute, but I think the tech is just too fiddly, it does not survive unless the players are kept in perfect conditions.. so Im not sure its the best format to get into unless your ready to burn through players like polaroid film. If you can get NetMD recorders then there's plenty of new software to let you upload modern music though which is cool! I just wish the players were a bit more sturdy...

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022 @21.40 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Frost Sheridan
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Dragon of the Digital Plane

StatusCafe: frostsheridan
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!G4 Club Member!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2022 @533.52 »

There's that video Techmoan did where he's opening those big bags of loose, untested MD players he ordered from Japan... and then he shows he's got 3 more bags like it. There's just so many to go around if you look there :grin:
earlier this year a friend and i also ordered a few of those junk MD lots from japan! mostly all of the sony units worked fine (except for the ones that looked like they were sat on), a couple of the sharps worked, and none of the panasonics or kenwoods worked. unsurprisingly, it seems like sony is the only way to go for reliable MD players.

sadly, as melon pointed out, the tech is just so fiddly that it can be hard to keep players functional. my friend and i were able to revive some of the dead sharp units with some basic maintenance (lubricating the mechanisms and cleaning the lens), but most of the dead ones were just lost causes. fortunately, all of our sony units have been working fine so far!

Ozwomp Online had cosmic minidiscs you could visit to learn about the galaxy and Ozwomps Voyage used them for level progression. Mostly I'm a Sony fanboy :tongue:
as another sony fanboy, i quite enjoyed the minidiscs featured in ozwomps voyage when i played through it. :tongue:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022 @535.02 by Frost Sheridan » Logged

[ [ where delusions dwell . . . ] ]

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi