Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 18, 2024 - @810.98 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 63/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ✎ ∙ Art Crafting
| | |-+  What art program do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What art program do you use?  (Read 2267 times)
DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

I will become the god of this new world!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: doctordizzy
iMood: DoctorDizzyspin

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« on: November 29, 2022 @911.77 »

Hi! :chill: I am thinking of moving away from Clip Studio Paint, and was wondering what other art programs there are that I could use :omg:k:

So... What programs to you use? Like... FireAlpaca, Krita, Photoshop, some mysterious fourth thing?? I'm interested in hearing about what you guys enjoy using :chill:

I am lightning... The rain transformed!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2022 @33.78 »

I have tried a lot of different programs and Photoshop is easily the best. It really does everything.

Other programs that focus on doing one thing well, like painting or vector art, are great for that niche. I actually prefer Clip Studio Paint for drawing line art with the vector brush, and it's great for comic layouts. For quick sketches I like having Autodesk Sketchbook on my phone or tablet. Krita was really nice for painting.

But when I want to draw, paint, animate, make pixel art or do web design, Photoshop does all of that with a great interface and nice AI tools.

Gimp tries to compete in the same space, and does do a lot of things Photoshop does, but it doesn't do any of them as well. If cost is important, Gimp is fine for a free tool. But if you have the money, Photoshop is really worth it.
MeowChirp
Casual Poster

iMood: HydraTriangle

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2022 @63.02 »

I have been using FireAlpaca just because it's faster and for short animation, but for a long time I used Medibang Paint Pro which I believe is made by the same people. It's basically a more 'heavy' FireAlpaca that has more Photoshop-esque features. I only do digital art though and not much photo editing.

I believe in terms of digital art it doesn't really matter what program you use as long as it's comfortable. Of course it can be hard to create your best art in something like Microsoft Paint, but it's not impossible. I think the purpose of art programs in terms of digital art is just to speed up the process of drawing. For example, being able to ctrl+t to transform something instead of having to redraw it, it just speeds it up. So I believe the best art program is really whatever makes the process of drawing the fastest for you.
graveyardsoup
Casual Poster ⚓︎

the net is vast and infinite

iMood: graveyardsoup

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2022 @142.20 »

I don't know that it's really a replacement for anything so much as fun software to use on the side but HEAVYPAINT is a neat program. It doesn't have any fine detail brushes (like the name suggests) so that you're meant to focus more on color and shape over line when you're using it. It's nice for planning paintings or doing plein air stuff. Nice bonus is that it's available on Windows, Mac and Linux and then there's app versions for iOS and Android.

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2022 @683.11 »

I've been really enjoying different online programs, since I'm not usually offline. My favorite is www.photopea.com, but there's also fun stuff like https://jspaint.app/ and https://www.piskelapp.com/. On my main desktop I also have Rebelle, which usually goes on sale via Humble Bundle every now and then, and ArtRage on Android. They're both "paint simulators," so they serve a different need, but I do love both of them.

prwlnglthr
Casual Poster ⚓︎

**SPLAT**

iMood: ntprwlr

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2022 @914.20 »

I started really being invested in making digital art long before there were any real competitors to Photoshop and Paint Tool Sai (both of which I used) bc GIMP was never really a competitor so much as a second-place alternative, so I've been using PS since back way back when CS4 was new. :smile: I refuse to play the subscription game so I'm just sitting cozy on a copy of CS6 and honestly? I can't fathom ever fully leaving. I just feel v comfortable with all the tools and features at this point, tbh, and it would take a lot to convince me to relearn it. :grin:

That said, CSP is a fantastic program (their... forays into subscription-type stuff and the godforsaken AI shit they pulled these last few days aside); I honestly originally bought it solely for its posing tools and things like perspective rulers, symmetry, etc that fill in gaps that PS can't cover. I regularly use it as part of my workflow nowadays. Can't see it replacing PS for me any time soon but it's a great tool to have in your arsenal! Any reason why you're thinking of moving away from CSP?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022 @916.31 by prwlnglthr » Logged

☆✭~⋞《a temporary visitor, taking comfort from the flame...》ミ~*。✧.゚*・゚’゜.︵‿ ~~. .
avatar credit: @spookybri on twitter! // signature gfx credit: me!
DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2022 @960.53 »

Honestly, their recent business decisions are the main reason why I want to move away :ohdear: I know that I can (and probably should) just ignore them, but I don't know... It just feels kinda gross, I guess, to continue using it?? Like, I'd rather use an application that doesn't pull that garbage :-P

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2022 @56.60 »

That said, CSP is a fantastic program (their... forays into subscription-type stuff and the godforsaken AI shit they pulled these last few days aside); I honestly originally bought it solely for its posing tools and things like perspective rulers, symmetry, etc that fill in gaps that PS can't cover. I regularly use it as part of my workflow nowadays. Can't see it replacing PS for me any time soon but it's a great tool to have in your arsenal! Any reason why you're thinking of moving away from CSP?

Honestly, their recent business decisions are the main reason why I want to move away :ohdear: I know that I can (and probably should) just ignore them, but I don't know... It just feels kinda gross, I guess, to continue using it?? Like, I'd rather use an application that doesn't pull that garbage :-P

I had to look up what's going on because I'm out of the loop. Sounds like they're pulling exactly what Adobe did with the Creative Cloud subscription.

I hung onto my copy of Photoshop CS6 for almost a decade before eventually caving in and buying the subscription. I have a really high resolution desktop monitor and CS6's UI doesn't scale, so that was part of my decision; but it was actually the AI features that convinced me to upgrade. I understand the controversy around Stable Diffusion and Dall-e generating entire images after being trained on other artists' work without their permission. That's pretty shitty, especially if those images then get used commercially. But I like Photoshop CC's Neural Filters that let you easily modify an existing image rather than generate an entirely new one. Being able to swap backgrounds, reposition lighting and even adjust facial expressions is pretty cool.

I also use Photoshop for work, and am employed full time, so the cost isn't too bad and easily justifiable. But all of these subscription models really aren't friendly to any lower-income creators or especially students. And being able to use the software for cheap (or free, considering how easy it was to pirate Photoshop 5 when I was in high school) is a great way to train and hook in the next generation of people who will be using it professionally. I probably wouldn't be so high on Photoshop's fumes if I hadn't spent all of high school playing around and learning how to use it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022 @179.64 by MamboGator » Logged
prwlnglthr
Casual Poster ⚓︎

**SPLAT**

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2022 @74.58 »

honestly? I wouldn't be too worried just yet. I really don't think they'll actually go ahead with it based on the fact that I have yet to see anyone actually defend the decision; I think it'll be like discord wanting to pander to cryptobros and NFTs and then getting bullied into rolling that back. can def see why you'd rather use smth else, ofc, but just in terms of feasible alternatives, there's not too much out there that is as powerful as CSP or PS unfortunately. :notgood:

you can always just stop supporting them/give them no more money/etc from when they implement smth grody, too! that's what I've done with the copy of CS6 I scavenged maaaany years ago now from a friend bc I'd sooner wade through rattlesnakes than throw even $5 to adobe... >_>

☆✭~⋞《a temporary visitor, taking comfort from the flame...》ミ~*。✧.゚*・゚’゜.︵‿ ~~. .
prwlnglthr
Casual Poster ⚓︎

**SPLAT**

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022 @82.96 »

I had to look up what's going on because I'm out of the loop. Sounds like they're pulling exactly what Adobe did with the Creative Cloud subscription.

I hung onto my copy of Photoshop CS6 for almost a decade before eventually caving in and buying the subscription. I have a really high resolution desktop monitor and CS6's UI doesn't scale, so that was part of my decision; but it was actually the AI features that convinced me to upgrade. I understand the controversy around Stable Diffusion and Dall-e generating entire images after being trained on other artist's work without their permission. That's pretty shitty, especially if those images then get used commercially. But I like Photoshop CC's Neural Filters that let you easily modify an existing image rather than generate an entirely new one. Being able to swap backgrounds, reposition lighting and even adjust facial expressions is pretty cool.

I also use Photoshop for work, and am employed full time, so the cost isn't too bad and easily justifiable. But all of these subscription models really aren't friendly to any lower-income creators or especially students. And being able to use the software for cheap (or free, considering how easy it was to pirate Photoshop 5 when I was in high school) is a great way to train and hook in the next generation of people who will be using it professional. I probably wouldn't be so high on Photoshop's fumes if I hadn't spent all of high school playing around and learning how to use it.

man, I'm so damn reluctant to engage with modern tech "upgrades" (things that don't offer any obvious improvements) as long as possible that I'm still sitting here using win 7 even as more and more programs put up a fuss about compatibility. why blow cash on 10 when I can just find a version of python 3 that somebody rebuilt to be installable long after support for 7 ended ehehehe :cool:

I can't blame you for actually moving to CC for the AI features bc I absolutely think stuff like AI helping to correct or allow modification of your own files is super fucken cool! can be a total lifesaver when you bungle smth (content aware scaling, for all it's been meme'd to hell and back, helps a lot with nudging a few things late into the painting stage without making me want to rip my hair out). I wish that's the kind of AI usage companies like Adobe, CelSys, etc were more interested in bc it can be a wonderful tool but that's all it should be: a tool.

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2022 @596.54 »

Just a quick mention of the Affinity Suite as an Adobe alternative; its a once off purchase; I recently got a full copy because my mum started using it to replace CS3 on her new computer; it looked good, plus it means I know what Im talking about if she emails asking how to do something :omg:k:

I have not had much time with the drawing functionality in AF Photo, but I know its there and its apparently good (they keep emailing me free brushes?). Iv been using the vector art features and its been a super solid experience (Expect WAY more vectors in my sites from now on!!). It might not be as advanced as Adobes latest stuff, but if your coming from an older Adobe its prob got 99% of the features most people want; plus its cross platform (Mac, Windows iPad) so Iv been drawing pixel art on iPad and then moving it over to my computer to fine tune it, its a fun workflow. (Does this sound like an advert? :tongue: )

On the point of adobe bashing! Ugh; I had "student" creative cloud a few years ago and tried to cancel after 6 months and they would not let me cancel unless I payed the difference of non student costs?? E.g in order to cancel I ether had to stay as a student subscriber for a year, or pay for 6 months retrospectively as a full subscriber. That was super trashy; I just deleted my credit card details and blocked adobes emails and I never heard from them again
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022 @600.19 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Icey!
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pro Bug Finder!OG! Joined 2021!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022 @867.28 »

I use pencil and paper, pretty good alternative with a low learning curve!

(For an actual alternative I recommend Krita, it's free and open source.)

:ozwomp: my beloved

prwlnglthr
Casual Poster ⚓︎

**SPLAT**

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022 @757.36 »

honestly? I wouldn't be too worried just yet. I really don't think they'll actually go ahead with it based on the fact that I have yet to see anyone actually defend the decision; I think it'll be like discord wanting to pander to cryptobros and NFTs and then getting bullied into rolling that back. can def see why you'd rather use smth else, ofc, but just in terms of feasible alternatives, there's not too much out there that is as powerful as CSP or PS unfortunately. :notgood:

you can always just stop supporting them/give them no more money/etc from when they implement smth grody, too! that's what I've done with the copy of CS6 I scavenged maaaany years ago now from a friend bc I'd sooner wade through rattlesnakes than throw even $5 to adobe... >_>

heyyy I was right, thank god! they released an apology and rolled it back today. obvs, can't trust any company, but their apology was pretty good actually; they listed, point by point, what people said and acknowledged them as valid concerns. they've got a tweet up about it! :ha:

DoctorDizzy
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022 @974.56 »

I just noticed that! That's great news!! :cheesy:

Thank you, everyone, for your great responses. It was really cool seeing what programs everyone used :chill:
I think that I'll stick with CSP, even if their subscription service is a biiiiit... not great lol. :omg:k: I'll definitely try some other programs in the future, though, if only for variety :omg:k: Like, I still want to get used to Krita, for example!! :cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022 @33.96 by DoctorDizzy » Logged

lime360
Full Member ⚓︎

hi.

StatusCafe: lime360
iMood: lime360
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2022 @778.00 »

i formerly used paint.net, now i use krita and original ms paint

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

HIRA's Artworks

Started by KAFKAPOLISBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 14
Views: 3290
Last post June 13, 2023 @143.22
by xandra
‿̩͙‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙ urgonic's awesome artworks ‿̩̥̩‿̩̩̥͙̽‿̩͙

Started by sansBoard ➶ ∙ Art Gallery

Replies: 2
Views: 1813
Last post December 29, 2021 @506.89
by xandra
sleepyXTRA - Inside The Mind of The Lo-Fi Artist - released FREE!

Started by ellievoyydBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 0
Views: 1214
Last post January 21, 2022 @429.43
by ellievoyyd

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi