Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
May 02, 2024 - @604.34 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 48/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :happy: Open the all windows! Your mind needs storms and air! :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  IM clients

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: IM clients  (Read 2195 times)
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2023 @626.16 »

Trillian - that's the name of the other one used. I couldn't remember it when I was writing my previous reply.

Phones just annoys me. Unless I recognize the number I just let everything go to voicemail. If they don't leave a message it can't be that important so they don't get a reply. I have accounts everywhere, Discord and so on, but email is my preferred meethod of communication as well.
georgemoody
Jr. Member ⚓︎

To Tux or not to Tux, that is the question

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: georgemoody
iMood: georgemoody
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2023 @931.76 »

• XMPP: don’t use it as much as I should, as an IM protocol I really like it, client is BeagleIM
  • IRC: mostly use it for general conversations, client is Textual (will likely move to envs.net’s weechat in the future)
  • Discord: where the majority of the action is, makes sense as the communities that I participate in are much more populated than other IMs, client is Armcord
  • Matrix: more tech talking happens here, client is Element
  • Telegram: only use it to communicate to my classmates and nothing else

I have no idea what I’m doing.
xero333

StatusCafe: xero333
iMood: xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2024 @755.78 »

THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT PSA FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT SOMETHING LIKE AIM OR MSN AGAIN
seriously USE Jabber! Jabber, aka XMPP, is designed to operate almost the same way as those classic messengers, but with modern functionality. That means you can use it like discord/whatsapp if you want, but you can also do what I do and use Psi+ as a client.

Get a look at the absolute glory that is this! And its super theme-able too, this is just how I like it to look personally!

If you want to know how to set it up, this thread is pretty helpful. If you cant decide on a server, sure.im and tigase.im should work fine

Also if you do wanna get on XMPP, feel free to message me! I love meeting new people here. You can private message (on melonland your Jabber ID if you would like, or you can just message me since I have my XMPP public. Click the link or copy it (and remove the "xmpp:" from the start) next to XMPP below my name on this post and you can shoot me a message easy!

I love meeting and chatting to new people. I've never used XMPP, but have heard of it. I might get setup and ping you!

:pc: Bring back the old web! :pc:
DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2024 @919.77 »

I love meeting and chatting to new people. I've never used XMPP, but have heard of it. I might get setup and ping you!

Ping me when you've gotten set up bcuz i have xmpp

xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024 @401.02 »

Ping me when you've gotten set up bcuz i have xmpp

I most certainly will! Any clients or providers you can recommend?

Gloogo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Today's milk is tomorrow's Gatorade.

iMood: gloogo

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024 @415.88 »

Just seeing this thread for the first time!

Because of how much I loved MSN Messenger years ago, I've downloaded and started using Escargot as well, but I quickly noticed that it's pretty quiet there unless you're already in a group that uses it (or maybe I just don't know where to look). Starting to wonder if XMPP is a more practical solution to the same thing, unless it's purely nostalgia that you're after.

I might try XMPP out finally! But if anyone here happens to already be using Escargot, feel free to add me! You can find my escargot contact email on my site.

Yaya

StatusCafe: yaya

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2024 @429.28 »

THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT PSA FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT SOMETHING LIKE AIM OR MSN AGAIN
seriously USE Jabber! Jabber, aka XMPP, is designed to operate almost the same way as those classic messengers, but with modern functionality. That means you can use it like discord/whatsapp if you want, but you can also do what I do and use Psi+ as a client.

Get a look at the absolute glory that is this! And its super theme-able too, this is just how I like it to look personally!

If you want to know how to set it up, this thread is pretty helpful. If you cant decide on a server, sure.im and tigase.im should work fine

Also if you do wanna get on XMPP, feel free to message me! I love meeting new people here. You can private message (on melonland your Jabber ID if you would like, or you can just message me since I have my XMPP public. Click the link or copy it (and remove the "xmpp:" from the start) next to XMPP below my name on this post and you can shoot me a message easy!

This is so cool! I absolutely love the concept and love the theme (if you're able to give details on how to do it that would be great!). Right now I, like most people, use discord for friends and groups when on my computer. I tried out Escargot but again, like others, it didn't work so smoothly, its pretty quiet, and I'm not really a fan of the interface. I usually like improving and making new things rather than reviving the old. So cool! I'm excited to check XMPP out~!
ralfwause
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2024 @440.09 »

After i cut down my presence in social media i am now back at IRC for general discussions and "tech stuff", its really nice and is available on nearly every platform young and old (you can even get a client running on FreeDOS). For direct communication with my family its mostly good ol' email (does this count as IM? With frequently checking mail clients it definitively feels like one...).
Sofly
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Oh hey hi

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2024 @567.57 »

I have a complicated thing with IM clients, i mostly use telegram and discord to talk with a small group of people, and the only means of direct communication i offer in my contact page is Escargot, which many people have mentioned before

I do want to experiment with Matrix or XMPP, but i'm not able to find any instance i feel like staying in (recommendations are welcome though  :eyes: )

Profile pic is from Secret Little Haven
xero333

View Profile

Joined 2024!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2024 @585.84 »

After i cut down my presence in social media i am now back at IRC for general discussions and "tech stuff", its really nice and is available on nearly every platform young and old (you can even get a client running on FreeDOS). For direct communication with my family its mostly good ol' email (does this count as IM? With frequently checking mail clients it definitively feels like one...).

Which IRC networks / channels are worth using? I always end up signing up, chatting for a bit, then never going back to them.

DiffydaDude
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Wanna be like :grin: but instead I'm like :sad:

View Profile WWW

20% coolerFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2024 @903.94 »

I most certainly will! Any clients or providers you can recommend?

I use Psi+
and theres a bunch of providers but i I use tigase

OneMillionFurries
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2024 @6.46 »

I mainly use Discord and sometimes Telegram to chat to the people on there.
I DID just download Escargot though! If anyone wants to add me feel free to send me a private message on here!

ralfwause
Casual Poster

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2024 @883.22 »

Which IRC networks / channels are worth using? I always end up signing up, chatting for a bit, then never going back to them.

As always, the question is what you are looking for. I hang around in the #openbsd #cat-v #reactos and #9front channels more or less for asking technical questions or echangeing a few messages with the regulars, for more open discussions i like the ##politics channel on libera.chat.
j
Full Member ⚓︎

bleh bleh *gargle gargle*

View Profile WWW

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2024 @954.10 »

going to shamelessly self-promote chat2me, which is the only semi-instant messaging standard i use which i've built from the ground up (literally. everything's been built in plain C, including all the dependencies, like networking libraries).

if i've piqued your interest: chat2me is an opt-in slow-mode pseudo-anonymous protocol, like some weird mash-up of BBS and midnight.pub. the idea is that you periodically check for new messages (no data stored - you fetch the number of messages stored by the server and compare to a number saved on your machine), fetch those messages individually (or script something to fetch all new messages; bash is your friend) and then reply. there's also a character limit - like Twitter - because chat2me is not a forum, but it's also not social media.

chat2me is unfriendly towards Windows because i don't program for Windows.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024 @394.81 by j » Logged

i go by j, she/they :)
alexela64
Full Member ⚓︎

NEW PLASTIC TREE 5.29 !!!!1!!!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2024 @883.18 »

Discord: where the majority of the action is, makes sense as the communities that I participate in are much more populated than other IMs, client is Armcord
Do you use Vencord with armcord? Or no mods?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi