Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @9.58 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 44/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ✑ ∙ Writers Corner
| | |-+  Web design books from the past

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Web design books from the past  (Read 939 times)
Absentmind

i love surfing the world widened web

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: January 28, 2023 @536.00 »

Recently a I found a book at a book faire that caught my attention, Here are some pictures I took of it and some of the pages I found really fun!

The Album: https://imgur.com/a/g00GYpI

Its called Web design by Priya Raveendran, initially it was published as a "serious" web design book but it has some absolute gems inside of ye olde knowledge. My personal favourite section is the section discussing tips on how to make your very own webpage and the little section that talks about advertising amazon on it (lol). Without spoiling too much of it, it was Such a great read and I'd deffo recommend it!

Do you guys have any books like this? I'd love to see, I might start collecting them! thanks

Gans

Scrap Vulture

View Profile

First 1000 Members!€100 IRC InvestmentJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023 @345.91 »

HTML 4, the former HTML standard, so that's an old book here. On the cover it says: 550 pages with a CD-ROM for 20 Euros. Nowadays you get it for 2 Euros online.

If you go through the whole thing, it will answer questions that you don't even know to formulate yet. So it can be a good inspiration, especially for starters.

* htmlbook.gif (50.76 kB, 320x240 - viewed 46 times.)
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023 @681.98 »

I have the coolest one from back in the day that my mother used around the time when she was a Web designer (runs in the family, I guess?) that focuses more on the actual design than teaching HTML, and it's the coolest! It has examples from a tonne of different sites of the day, and tips from professional designers. It's on loan to a friend right now, but I'll put some pictures up, either here or on my site, soon!

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

Corrupted Unicorn
Jr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023 @794.04 »

I think this is a genre of book that has been forgotten by time and I'd love to dig into these if I ever came across any  :ozwomp:

Reminds me of this huge book (phone book thickness!) I found in a thrift store a while ago, that was pretty much a catalogue of stock art!  :dive:

TheFrugalGamer
Sr. Member ⚓︎

Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023 @892.40 »

Reminds me of this huge book (phone book thickness!) I found in a thrift store a while ago, that was pretty much a catalogue of stock art!

That brings back a memory! Dover Publications (which is still around) used to sell a ton of clip book art for commercial artists to literally clip into their designs, and I ended up inheriting a bunch when they switched to using computers. I think they still have a big catalogue, but they market more towards artists and crafters. Neat stuff though! I have one for borders, one for lettering, and a few others.

Cobra!
Hero Member ⚓︎

’S fhearr Albais bhriste na Albais sa chiste

StatusCafe: cobradile
iMood: Cobradile
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023 @42.42 »

Please excuse the necroposting, but I was in a thrift shop, and came across a book about the internet from 2000! It's from Lloyds TSB, of all places. (For those not in the know, Lloys TSB is a bank in the British Isles, possibly outside it as well, dunno)

It has references to newsgroups, IRC, talks about browsing via dial-up and even has a wee tutorial on how to write HTML!

This fits here, right?

“Snooping as usual, I see?”
PurpleHello98
Full Member ⚓︎

'Cause I'm your girl, hold me baby <3

StatusCafe: purplehello98

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023 @94.62 »

Please excuse the necroposting, but I was in a thrift shop, and came across a book about the internet from 2000! It's from Lloyds TSB, of all places. (For those not in the know, Lloys TSB is a bank in the British Isles, possibly outside it as well, dunno)

It has references to newsgroups, IRC, talks about browsing via dial-up and even has a wee tutorial on how to write HTML!

This fits here, right?

This one looks really cool! I really like the graphic design on the cover. Maybe I'll see if I can find myself a copy!

"As she realized what might have been, she grew to be thankful for what was."
-Elizabeth Gaskell, North and South

grubbyfox
Full Member ⚓︎

forever in 2006

iMood: grubbyfox

View Profile WWW

Joined 2023!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2023 @793.03 »

I had a book called "Frontpage 2003" at some point.

I couldn't find a better photo online, but here's a tiny thumb of the cover

(hope that loads for ya outside region  :eyes: )

There was a series of these books, all very similar (sort of sizeable paper back books with the same logo in different colors) in Access, Excel and Frontpage. I dont think I really ever used the Frontpage one (but might have?), but we used Excel and Access in a PC class I took in 2007.

Last summer I found one of those yellow "internet for dummies" books in a thrift store. I thought that was pretty cool.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Website size

Started by RolyBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 58
Views: 5161
Last post February 18, 2024 @998.30
by mittens
Collecting Webgardens - Post your webgarden & greenhouse!

Started by MelooonBoard ⚛︎ ∙ Share your Resources

Replies: 33
Views: 12864
Last post December 31, 2023 @87.73
by corvidaegalaxy
Theme Poll - Do you like the forum theme?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛄︎ ∙ Forum Info & Questions

Replies: 13
Views: 4867
Last post August 12, 2023 @742.86
by vvinrg

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi