Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 11 Oct 2026 - @2.29
Forum Activity: Four Stars ~ Boop! The forum will close in 998.beats! Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :seal: Thank you for today! :seal: Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Worlds & Video Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  caves of qud: chrome, concrete and primordial soup


« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print Embed
Author Topic: caves of qud: chrome, concrete and primordial soup  (Read 94 times)
fairyrune
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWWArt


we live to make the impossible possible!
⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
iMood: fairyrune
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Visited on Melon's 10th Anniversary!Dino FossilJoined 2025!
« on: Autumn, 03 Oct 2026 @643 » Toggle Font Embed

has anyone here played Caves of Qud? i got back into it recently. i got it a couple years ago before 1.0 released and it floored me with its depth, art style and writing. i'm fascinated by the world and it really inspires me to create something with that pulpy, science-fantasy energy!

for those unfamiliar, Caves of Qud is a science fantasy roguelike inspired by a variety of things, like Gamma World, Ursula K. Le Guin's sci-fi works, the Dune books, and many more. it has a charming, retro art style made up of little sprites - in my opinion, evoking its ancestor, the original Rogue. the world is many layers deep - literally, as you might have guessed by "caves"! - and full of relics, ancient machines and paranormal(?) encounters.

i don't think my words can really do justice the amount of exploration that's in this game. part of that is down to the fact that many, many things in the game are procedurally generated. for example, i created a save recently in which one of the beds in the starting town, joppa, was extradimensional. examining it taught me about the dimension it came from. it flickered in and out of reality... and i was wowed! you can come across stuff like this completely by accident. the game rewards patience and exploration in a way i find satisfying.

there's also a very interesting battle system. fighting mostly just involves whacking something with whatever you've got, but you can gain mutations or cybernetics to give you weird and powerful abilities. my current build is growing arms to hold as many weapons as i can, meaning i can hit for massive amounts of damage with every swing. if you get psychically powerful enough, however... there may be consequences!

i figured that a community like this full of creative and quirky people who appreciate retro tech and such might find this game very interesting! has anyone played it? do you have any funny or interesting stories to share about things you've discovered?

« Last Edit: Autumn, 03 Oct 2026 @648 by fairyrune » Logged

☾ "you want to run - i'll run with you" ☼
https://files.catbox.moe/ivdca8.gifhttps://i.postimg.cc/YSTBDnM2/chao-blinkie.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/ji1nvt.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/9ypmrn.gifhttps://files.catbox.moe/3im96c.gif
milo
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


whoa!!
⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Joined 2024!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 10 Oct 2026 @924 » Embed

Oh man are we talking about Caves of Qud???

I love this game so much. It's one of my most played games on Steam. I go through phases where it's all I play for hours and hours since it's been in early access around 2015 or so. I'm so happy to finally see it officially release and the final version is incredible to play.

You're right about the depth of the game!! There's so much going on I don't even know what to touch on. I love that there's a big overarching story, but all the little details around the world are randomly generated each play through.

Currently, I have one character I've been leveling up in Roleplay mode so I can actually experience the whole game. If I'm feeling especially wily, I'll roll random builds and see how far I can get with them. My current guy is a psychic wizard of sorts and his Ego stat is so high that he has made waves across different dimensional planes and is constantly hunted by extradimensional beings. He also has a command of spacetime and his best abilities are teleporting others, slowing down time and opening portals to other parts of the world for people to fall into (sometimes by accident!). Sometimes if I'm out matched by a foe I'll open a portal and just jump in hoping for a better situation than the one I'm currently in.

I love how many approaches you can take to everything in this game. If you can think it, you can probably do it. I was having trouble getting past one of the ice trolls in Golgotha. The best strategy I came up with was to just bum rush him before he could get more than a few hits in and stick him with a love serum causing him to... well, fall in love with me. And now one of the big bad bosses of the whole area just follows me around doing my bidding. Amazing.

One of my favorite random generations: I was wandering around and found a new village. I inspected the warden and saw his name was "Lost Warden [name]". I'm like, whoooooa, a Lost Warden?? What does that mean? How epic!! That's so cool! So I go up and talk to them and a box pops up. "Warden [name] asks about his location and is no longer lost." ...Oh. He was literally lost. How was he the warden of a village he didn't know anything about?? His description said he was enemies with some faction for cooking them a rancid meal which added to the aloofness of this generated character.

Logged

https://themonkeyden.neocities.org/monkeydenbanner.png
Pages: [1] Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe