Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 20, 2024 - @60.23 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 47/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Minecraft Melon Land

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Minecraft Melon Land  (Read 1184 times)
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« on: February 14, 2023 @645.21 »

Something Dotmidi said reminded me of a land made of melons I made a few years ago..

I figured I'd share that.

I've spent way too much time on that game (mostly running servers!)

* Screenshot 2023-02-14 092506.png (550.14 kB, 982x664 - viewed 49 times.)

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

i have grown accustomed to your face...

iMood: dotmidi

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023 @647.06 »

:eyes: :eyes:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Graduate '23Pocket Icelogist!Pet BatCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023 @647.30 »

maybe we should host a minecraft server for the melonland forum!  :cheesy:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Coziest Café Award 2023Café ClubJoined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023 @659.62 »

If anyone decides to pay for hosting, I highly recommend Bloom Host!

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2023 @780.54 »

Iv been wondering when someone would ask this :tongue:

You may not know but I have a pretty serious history of minecraft server running - its where I learned most of my skills!
A few quite famous plugins for server were made by me too :grin:  https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/nicky.590/

Iv been thinking it might be nice to drop into a MC server again, but I just don't wanna invest the kinda time and effort that I used to put into them.

I'm happy to cover hosting a lil server if you guys want, and set it up nicely with a few simple plugins to make life easy- but I don't think Id have time to manage it, so I would need some volunteers to look after it! Let me know!  :smile:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2023 @812.89 »

Iv been wondering when someone would ask this :tongue:

You may not know but I have a pretty serious history of minecraft server running - its where I learned most of my skills!
A few quite famous plugins for server were made by me too :grin:  https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/nicky.590/

Iv been thinking it might be nice to drop into a MC server again, but I just don't wanna invest the kinda time and effort that I used to put into them.

I'm happy to cover hosting a lil server if you guys want, and set it up nicely with a few simple plugins to make life easy- but I don't think Id have time to manage it, so I would need some volunteers to look after it! Let me know!  :smile:

That's awesome! I was running a couple last year, they can be so much work if you begin to take them seriously.. I tried making it a job, and I ended up burnt out putting 2,000 hours into it over the time span of 9 months. Met a lot of cool people and built some really cool things! I put a lot of time into polishing menus, coming up with NPC quests, dialogue, NPC cities, (BetonQuest is an awesome plugin!) we had a fun little marketplace (on both servers) where players receive a plot where they could build their own shop and sell items for in-game currency, etc., etc. There was so much to it! I still have all the files backed up somewhere, would love to share some of the city builds and such!

I don't think I have the energy to go back in swinging like that this year :ohdear:

I also had another server I began working on as a side project, which is something I would actually be interested in recreating someday. It was basically extra difficult no-build survival server. If you died, you lost a heart. If you got too cold or too hot, you could freeze to death or die from overheating. You could die from thirst. Typically neutral and even some friendly mobs, like dolphins and bees, would attack on sight. The world was prebuilt and rather beautiful! There were different cities you could travel to (if you didn't die) that had respawning crates with survival loot inside. You had to carry everything you found/collected with you, and if you died, you'd lose it all. I had a custom biome generator injected into the world, and there were seasons as well, with weather effects, different types of foliage based on the season, and a calendar. Winter was definitely the hardest to survive in :P There were also really nice particle effects, like shooting stars in the summer and sparkling stars on a clear winter night. I miss that server so much! I wish I'd kept it and gone public with it, because if I took what I learned about quest building and world events from the main server I was running and put it into that survival server, it could've turned into a mini MMO!

That's so cool that you made plugins! Running those servers last year is what got me a little interested in programming, and I figured if I decided to learn anything it'd be Java, so I could make nifty plugins!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023 @823.25 by Onio » Logged

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2023 @836.64 »

The true melonland! I'd love to join a sever if it happens!!!

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023 @837.75 »

I tried making it a job, and I ended up burnt out putting 2,000 hours into it over the time span of 9 months.
Yep! That's the experience alright! I find it amazing though that people still consider MC as something you can take seriously like this 10 years after it came out - I remember in 2013 thinking it was already past its peek, shows what I know :tongue:

NPC cities and stuff like that are the "dooms day pill", once you start that stuff, you know your gonna have to treat it like a full time game design job - its just not worth it! If your gonna put that much creative energy into a project - don't do it in a medium that's owned my Microsoft!

I guess I'm still a little bitter - People like me who were running great communities back in Alpha; we basically created the culture for Notch to earn 2 billion dollars from the game, but we saw no benefit from it. Its a great game, but its also a brand that was built on the backs of overworked (generally unpaid) server admins :ohdear: That's life though, sometimes its just not fair!

These days if I ever touch the game, I just want it to be for casual fun :grin:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023 @954.22 »

I played back in the browser days and then 2010-2011, but I didn't actually play online until 2019, and I got hooked when I found a server! Then my friend made a server and he has been running it since 2019. He makes a profit from it, but not much. There are some servers that earn a ton of money, and that's why I thought it would be possible, but when I began working on it, I realized just how much of that money was made from charging people to purchase crate keys to open crates (where you had a chance to win some rare gear, but usually it was kind of junk). This doesn't sit well with me, especially because it's basically trying to get people hooked on what's essentially gambling, so I was trying to work on other solutions (such as that storyline/quest sort of deal) but it was just too much work for too little pay. I did have some crate keys for sale, because one player in particular loved it so much that he wanted to donate to the server, and that particular purchase would give out the same crate key to everyone - so if you bought crate key X, everyone online got a crate key, and it would thank them. But it still didn't feel right.

I think what you said, spoke it best: "If your gonna put that much creative energy into a project - don't do it in a medium that's owned my Microsoft!" For me, that specifically applies to creative energy you expect or hope to get paid for someday. There are still some amazing mass-scale builds that are beautiful, and I appreciate those for what they are. But if you're going to create what's essentially your own game, make it somewhere else!

Shortly after that, I got into Godot and started working on a project in December, which I need to get back to working on someday. I really like Godot, I preferred it over my experience with Gamemaker Studio 2 (though my experience with that was pretty limited too.)

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023 @29.69 »

I'd definitely be down for a MelonLand Minecraft server, although I do get the apprehension: it's a lot of work to keep it running, let alone smoothly, and I've seen a lot of servers start with much enthusiasm and then fizzle out after a month or so. Still, with roughly 430 people on the forum I'd say it's definitely an idea worthy of exploring and I'll be sure to check it out if it happens! I'm also willing to help, but I'm having a busy period ahead of me so I don't know how useful I'd be :ok:

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
thesolitarygamer
Full Member ⚓︎

why do they call it oven

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023 @47.62 »

I'd be down with joining a minecraft server! Minecraft for me comes and goes in phases, right now im on a big binge (partly due to playing it heavily modded and partly due to some friends working on a survival modpack) so, hell yeah
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023 @84.53 »

I'd certainly join in if a server is ever made! It sounds neat being able to interact with other people from this forum in a game. I'd actually appreciate it being simple or even run in an earlier version of Minecraft (like 1.3) since my computer has a hard time running anything that's more complicated than Solitaire... I'm not sure if anyone else has that issue

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
Onio
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023 @734.80 »

I'd certainly join in if a server is ever made! It sounds neat being able to interact with other people from this forum in a game. I'd actually appreciate it being simple or even run in an earlier version of Minecraft (like 1.3) since my computer has a hard time running anything that's more complicated than Solitaire... I'm not sure if anyone else has that issue

Playing an older version actually might be kind of fun!

dotmidi
Sr. Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023 @773.50 »

i've always preferred the older versions of minecraft. the newer stuff feels uncanny to me.. possibly because ever since microsoft bought off minecraft it's just been way off model with the game
as cute as the bees are they are HUUGE  :ozwomp:

From time to time
I may speak in cliché
It's a sign of my age
What can I say?
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023 @897.41 »

i've always preferred the older versions of minecraft. the newer stuff feels uncanny to me.. possibly because ever since microsoft bought off minecraft it's just been way off model with the game
as cute as the bees are they are HUUGE  :ozwomp:

Playing an older version actually might be kind of fun!

Yeah! I actually do love the older versions a lot more than the newer- I'm glad somebody agrees with me when it comes to playing it in one. They feel a lot less overwhelming to play for me, but I could have some bias because I've been playing since around maybe.. 2011 or 2012. Some of the updates are cool, but I feel a little sad playing without bright and gaudy bodies of water and basic mobs everywhere. The original piano track is my favorite, too...

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

MelonEngine - Mini Three.js Game Engine

Started by MelooonBoard ⁇ ∙ Tutorials

Replies: 1
Views: 1688
Last post February 22, 2022 @261.66
by ellievoyyd
GUIDE: Melon's Simple X3D World Tutorial

Started by MelooonBoard ✎ ∙ Art Crafting

Replies: 5
Views: 3770
Last post February 17, 2022 @637.75
by demonologi
Melon's Song of the day!!!

Started by MelooonBoard © ∙ Music Room

Replies: 139
Views: 21355
Last post April 17, 2024 @782.45
by Melooon

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi