Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 29, 2024 - @323.85 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 46/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ha: :pc: Hello Melonland! :pc: :happy:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Interests Zone
| |-+  ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema
| | |-+  Do you skip OPs and EDs? Why?

« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you skip OPs and EDs? Why?  (Read 1388 times)
WingsOfImagination

Beauty Serene Arrow!

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!High Speed Ozwomp!
« on: February 28, 2023 @4.94 »

Acronyms:

OP = Opening (songs)

ED = Ending (songs)

---

Personally, I never skip OPs or EDs, even if I happen to watch mutiple chapters of the series in a row!

The OP is there to set the tone and mood of the show. It's supposed to be watched multiple times over a long period until it sticks with you, as is the intention of the team who worked so hard on it. Sometimes, the OP has its own interesting story to tell or little references that you don't consciously realize, unless you put the time to watch it many, many times over. Sometimes it helps you to get into the actual perspective of the main characters, as they are the ones singing the song!

The ED is meant to leave you time to think and analyze the events that just transpired on the screen, as it slowly plays in the background, before you cut everything off and go back to the real world where your mind is busy with other things. When things get serious and suddenly the ED is not there, you FEEL the impact of it, so much more, you know it's on! Or when it's an entirely different song that plays at the end of some incredible climax, you just go wow!

So what about you? Do you choose to skip or stay during OPs and EDs? Are you focused on what's happening on screen or do you look mindlessly on your phone?

Do not worry and feel free to answer honestly, I may not judge you too harshly :evil:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023 @118.90 by WingsOfImagination » Logged

sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023 @18.56 »

That really depends on whether or not I think the OP is good lol

I would say that I watch the whole thing for about 80% of the shows I watch, and usually I watch them with full focus.
EDs I usually skip for every episode that isn't the first or last, unless something is going on: part of the fun in waiting for new Chainsaw Man episodes was the new ED for every single episode, for instance.  :ozwomp:

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023 @34.41 »

~Just a quick admin-ing note! Please follow the forum guidelines and explain acronyms before using them (Even if everyone knows them now, someone reading this in 100 years might not) - it took me a long time to figure these ones out :tongue:

Hmm in the rare situation that I'm binge watching a bunch of episodes back to back then I will skip them, but in general I agree; they do set a mood and a tone for a show. Id say one of my bigger gripes is the credits in movies; I think its really important to watch the credits until the very end - partly as a thanks to all the names and the people who made it, but also because its a time to reflect on the experience. I find it extremely intrusive when streaming services or TV channels minimize the credits to suggest something else  :ohdear:

That's almost the only thing I miss about VHS, it always seemed to encourage you to watch till the tape ran out and you got that final blue screen and then the clunk as the auto rewind clicks in; its like a little celebration or mourning of the time that has been spent, and a regathering of the world as you return to your own reality!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
debleb
Full Member ⚓︎

He/him, scaley tailey dragon

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Goose!Pocket Icelogist!High Speed Ozwomp!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2023 @574.95 »

i often skip EDs unless i’ve not seen it before or it’s particularly good but OPs get watched every time. you wouldn’t catch me dead skipping wild side or ready to!

"I would have thought you to be above something so banal as despair. Am I mistaken?"

creaturefeature
Full Member ⚓︎

StatusCafe: creaturefeature
iMood: creaturefeature

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023 @80.72 »

that depends, like if I like song well enought I might listen to I again, other time is just a one time thing and then I skip it

NacreousDreams
Jr. Member ⚓︎

Rockin' at the Dance of Exis

iMood: Eldridge_Jameson

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023 @723.73 »

As long as the OP doesn't annoy me, yeah, I'll probably watch it every time! Only exception is when I'm binging... but that's not a good habit, so it doesn't count! :TnT:

Endings, though, I'm a lot less diligent about. Which is a shame, because I know how good they can be. But I consistently forego them, even if I'm not binging, because I just perceive the end of the show as being "the end of events in this episode's plot", and feel like I'm just gonna be bored from the credits. Something I gotta do better about, I think.

Kill Me Baby is the one weird case, because I don't like it's OP; I find it really annoying. But the ending? I watch that every time.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023 @838.21 »

I like when box sets and streaming services have a "marathon" option that plays the opening theme once and then skips it for every subsequent episode while you're still watching.

But if I really like the theme song, I'll sit through them every time. However, the only shows I've binged that qualify for that high status are DragonBall GT ("DAN DAN Kokoro!") and Spectacular Spider-Man ("Living on the edge, fighting crime, spinning webs!")  :grin:

Ending themes are rarely as good so I'm usually fine with skipping them.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023 @675.06 »

Usually, I don't skip the openings but I do skip the end credits because those go on too long.
kandeez
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023 @188.26 »

I tend to only skip opening credits when I am binging a series or if they're just incredibly long for no reason. The end credits I usually like to watch just because it gives me a time to really reflect on the things that just happened or a minute to readjust and drink water or stretch between episodes when I'm watching them all back to back. However I tend to miss them completely because streaming services love to just cut them off and shoot you to the next episode before you even have a chance to register that the episode is done.
I will however say that I have a very firm opinion that no one is to skip any part of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Every single song used in those episodes is an absolute banger and I stand with the fact they are not to be missed.
doubleincision

iMood: doubleincision

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023 @416.83 »

depends on how much i like the opening! some shows have an opening theme so good it feels like a crime to skip it. like, Yu Yu Hakusho? illegal to skip that opening theme. my husband and i also watch a lot of Xena and we always watch the opening sequence, and also do the narration along with the announcer. especially when he's like SHE........Was Xena

endings i usually skip, though. i can't think of any that stick out as particularly fun to listen to or watch.

But if I really like the theme song, I'll sit through them every time. However, the only shows I've binged that qualify for that high status are DragonBall GT ("DAN DAN Kokoro!") and Spectacular Spider-Man ("Living on the edge, fighting crime, spinning webs!")  :grin:

something about the original Japanese GT theme is so irritating to me, but i will rise with my hand on my heart for the absolute banger that is STEP INTO THE GRAND TOUR :chef:

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023 @71.22 »

Unless I really, really dislike the song, I'll always watch the OPs. I find it helps me get in the mood for the series, or just the next episode.

EDs, though? I think the only one I consistently watch through is Yu Yu Hakusho's because it's so nostalgic to me. I also adored the first Spy x Family ED and was devastated that they changed it and the OP...
lostletters
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2023 @162.65 »

I'm glad folks enjoy them so that the work can be appreciated, but I skip opening and endings as much as possible because they get very loud and energetic (especially for anime), which I find quite jarring. However, that might just be a sensory thing for me.
Skykristal
Jr. Member ⚓︎

I may be dead but I am here

StatusCafe: skykristal
iMood: Skykristal

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2023 @684.65 »

Depends on how much I like it. I often don't skip it. Sometimes when watching Netflix it also skips it for me but if it doesn't I often watch it, unless it starts to annoy me too much which can happen fast considering I often watch multiple seasons in a row.

in movies I watch the ending song too, unless it sounds too awful or isn't my type. I usually like to watch ending scenes/ credits and it bothers me what I watch with others and they jump right up after a movie ends. Give me a minute and calm down man xD

Also I'm 100% talking about life action here. I'm not into anime and cartoons much. There, I noticed that EDs and OPs are often way too loud and crazy. I wouldn't want to hear it over and over again especially when watching multiple episodes in a row.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023 @686.28 by Skykristal » Logged

Read My Blog ⋆。°✩ Punch my OCs  ⋆。°✩ View my Gallery
Plasmon
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2023 @905.00 »

It depends on if I like the song or not. If I really like an OP, then by god I'll sit through it a few times. If I don't like a song or I'm neutral on it, I just skip it altogether.

You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch? Yeah, I’m trackin’ ’em down as we speak.
grovyle

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2023 @619.13 »

I don't think I've ever skipped either of them, unless I'm in a streaming platform that skips them for me. My attention span is awful, so having that small window of time between episodes where I don't have to be paying active attention to it, but I'm also not doing something else that will derail me from the show altogether, is very nice  :4u:
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

Why do you watch YouTube?

Started by MelooonBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 54
Views: 5090
Last post February 16, 2024 @496.90
by georgemoody
Underappreciated YouTube Channels You Want to Share

Started by GuestBoard ⛺︎ ∙ Cinema

Replies: 47
Views: 3685
Last post March 17, 2024 @568.10
by Melooon
Hot Tip for finding obscure gaming/Let's Play YouTube channels

Started by GuestBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 1
Views: 560
Last post February 28, 2023 @973.90
by SilkSkull

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi