Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @356.04 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ♺ ∙ Web Crafting Materials
| | |-+  neocities comment section widget!

« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: neocities comment section widget!  (Read 1772 times)
Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023 @969.22 »

This is exactly the type of thing I JUST was looking for before I checked here.  :chef:

I've been going through your code for the past hour now, and it has become just a SEA of code comments.

I wrote on your page that I would notify if it felt like there was some feature I was missing, and it looks like I am going to add another configuration option to your script. I'm planning on adding a variable that tells it to put the comments display in reverse order, above the input elements, like a chat box instead of a comment box, without having to manually reverse the position of everything in CSS. I'm loathe to make the option a boolean because in the future, there might also be a sort of sideways or deck-of-cards display for the comments.

I may also add an optional auto-refresh timer so it sort of ACTS like a chat box, though the jury's out on the performance of that, since it retrieves & crunches all the data from the Google Sheet when that happens. I'll look into the existence of a POST body, header, or URL parameter set that would make the sheet return only the desired elements, like a database query, so it doesn't have to work with ALL the data and wind up with weird artifacts like those content-less comment objects that pass through the pagePath validation check but don't actually enter the loop that fills out the object's values. I'll be continuing to learn about your code and about the Google Sheets API; you've given me a goal to move toward. The result is going to be a floating element on my main page, so I'll have something to show you when I'm done.  :eyes:

Anyway, I've been thoroughly appreciating what you've done here, and I do hope to give back soon!  :4u: I'll check back in later.

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
kiki & ayano
Casual Poster ⚓︎

devour the past

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2023!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2023 @687.74 »

This is exactly the type of thing I JUST was looking for before I checked here.  :chef:

I've been going through your code for the past hour now, and it has become just a SEA of code comments.

I wrote on your page that I would notify if it felt like there was some feature I was missing, and it looks like I am going to add another configuration option to your script. I'm planning on adding a variable that tells it to put the comments display in reverse order, above the input elements, like a chat box instead of a comment box, without having to manually reverse the position of everything in CSS. I'm loathe to make the option a boolean because in the future, there might also be a sort of sideways or deck-of-cards display for the comments.

I may also add an optional auto-refresh timer so it sort of ACTS like a chat box, though the jury's out on the performance of that, since it retrieves & crunches all the data from the Google Sheet when that happens. I'll look into the existence of a POST body, header, or URL parameter set that would make the sheet return only the desired elements, like a database query, so it doesn't have to work with ALL the data and wind up with weird artifacts like those content-less comment objects that pass through the pagePath validation check but don't actually enter the loop that fills out the object's values. I'll be continuing to learn about your code and about the Google Sheets API; you've given me a goal to move toward. The result is going to be a floating element on my main page, so I'll have something to show you when I'm done.  :eyes:

Anyway, I've been thoroughly appreciating what you've done here, and I do hope to give back soon!  :4u: I'll check back in later.

i just sent you a PM about all of this, but thank you for your work again! i won't repeat everything i said in DMs because i saw this reply to my thread second but yeah.

(by the way, unrelated to the above, thank you serenefork! glad you like it!)

- ayano

過去喰らい尽くした
Kallistero
Jr. Member ⚓︎

SOON.

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2023 @319.69 »

i just sent you a PM about all of this, but thank you for your work again! i won't repeat everything i said in DMs because i saw this reply to my thread second but yeah.

(by the way, unrelated to the above, thank you serenefork! glad you like it!)

- ayano

AYANO

MY VISION IS COMPLETE

THE SCREENSHOT, LOOK AT IT, IT'S ON MY SITE

This is the highest burst of effort I've ever put into one scripting project. I hope I saved you a lot of time with updates here, this was a marathon for me.  :ozwomp:

While I was marking it up for my landing page, I added a couple more updates on top of what I sent you, a little version 1.0.1. I'm probably done messing with it right now, and remember, I really do believe in what you've done here.  :4u:

* comment_widget_cy_custom_k.png (17.49 kB, 262x336 - viewed 33 times.)

No pomegranates. If anyone messages me, and I found out they're a pomegranate, I will ask them to leave! :angry:
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1420
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I need help with neocities

Started by Kane VirkutisBoard ☔︎ ∙ I need Help!

Replies: 1
Views: 1658
Last post February 25, 2022 @609.50
by Melooon
Where are IPFS backups on Neocities? ANSWERED!

Started by ellievoyydBoard ✁ ∙ Web Crafting

Replies: 3
Views: 2078
Last post March 17, 2022 @162.86
by PAINTKILLER

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi