Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 28, 2024 - @773.00 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 73/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  Hi everyone, I’m new!!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi everyone, I’m new!!  (Read 461 times)
Barbs
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: August 06, 2023 @333.61 »

Just became very excited about the alien emoticons  :happy:

Hi all! I’m so excited to be here!
My name is Barbara but on the web I go by Barb or Barbs. I’m 22 years old and I’m a game artist from the Netherlands. After summer break I’ll be starting my last year of art school and I’m going to spend the entire year making video games with my friends which is super exciting! I enjoy taking on the roles of concept artist and narrative designer the most, but I’m a bit of a jack of all trades when it comes to game art and design. I’m currently working on a metroidvania game with a story about a cyborg resistance movement overthrowing the capitalist company ruling and polluting their planet.

I’m a massive science fiction geek. I connect a lot to narratives about aliens, outsiders, robots, AI’s etc. especially when they can be read through a queer and/or neurodivergent lens. My favorite book is Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer. I love watching star trek and doctor who!
Music-wise my favorite genres are indie rock, riot grrrl, punk, post-punk and new wave. Lately I’ve been listening to Metric a lot!

You can find my website here! I started making it a few weeks ago so it’s not much yet, but I’m looking forward to continuing to expand it. As a kid born in 2000 I have a few memories of using these kinds of sites and forums before everybody moved to social media, I’m so happy to find more people interested in reviving this web experience! As an artist I’ve experienced social media working against me at every turn for YEARS and it’s just been getting worse and worse lately, I grew so sick of it and I’m glad to have found an alternative in the indie web!

That’s all for now I think, I hope to see you all around on the forum or the web!!  :happy:
caracalled
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023 @569.31 »

Heyhey, welcome! (I'm newer than you so I'm not sure if I am the right person to say that lmao)

You're the first person here I've seen that lives near me! I live around an hour from the dutch border and sometimes come over to go grocery shopping hehe

That game sounds so cool! I'd love to see updates on it if you ever feel comfortable posting about it!!!

Please give me some post punk/new wave recs! I love that kinda music and I'm always on the lookout for new songs!

And last but not least: DANG your website looks cool, I love it!! And what you said about social media, I still remember when instagram first started changing their algorithm to favor brand content and feeling so fucked over with my little art account that i just made to make friends, but even that didn't work anymore because discoverability as a normal person was so bad starting then! It makes me so sad looking back because I feel like I would've made so much more art over the years if I had had a chance to still make art friends and make our ocs interact but alas, what's done is done and I found different creative outlets over the years :)

Hope you have a good time here on the forum!! :4u:
CinPunk
Newbie ⚓︎

iMood: CinPunk

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023 @589.85 »

I’m currently working on a metroidvania game with a story about a cyborg resistance movement overthrowing the capitalist company ruling and polluting their planet.

I don't know nothing about this game, but surely I would get it. I mean cyborg plus metroidvania?! Lol two of my favourite things in a row  :ha: .
andou
Casual Poster ⚓︎

i stinky

StatusCafe: andou

View Profile WWW

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023 @623.18 »

omg! annihilation is one of my favorite books, too! i actually have a signed copy of it, i saw him live waaayyyyy before the movie came out at a small meet up in orlando. i think he had just released borne, so he was touring to advertise it!

welcome to the forum! i'm new here as well!!  :transport:

shevek
Sr. Member ⚓︎

˚₊⁀꒷₊˚︰₊︶꒦꒷₊⊹︰꒷

iMood: daintyeco

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023 @683.45 »

Welcome, Barbs :smile:

I think the glowing effect on your website is really nice.

I connect a lot to narratives about aliens, outsiders, robots, AI’s etc. especially when they can be read through a queer and/or neurodivergent lens.

I feel the same way. Do you also enjoy Mass Effect? :dive:

‧˚₊꒷꒦︶︶︶ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽ shevek’s welcome pack ☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ︶︶︶꒦꒷‧₊˚⊹
> Check out the welcome post :smile: <
If you are unsure how to use a forum, here’s our wiki post about it!
You can also fill in your forum profile, change your font and color, and pick a forum theme to suit your needs!
Wanna talk, but don’t know what to post about? Maybe start by telling us about your latest progress or your username :loved:
P.S.: You should know that the forum is closed every Monday.
Don’t be alarmed when you see a closure screen, the forum will be back. :4u:

Odo was just an idea. Shevek is the proof.
Barbs
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2023 @567.22 »

Heyhey, welcome! (I'm newer than you so I'm not sure if I am the right person to say that lmao)

You're the first person here I've seen that lives near me! I live around an hour from the dutch border and sometimes come over to go grocery shopping hehe

That game sounds so cool! I'd love to see updates on it if you ever feel comfortable posting about it!!!

Please give me some post punk/new wave recs! I love that kinda music and I'm always on the lookout for new songs!

And last but not least: DANG your website looks cool, I love it!! And what you said about social media, I still remember when instagram first started changing their algorithm to favor brand content and feeling so fucked over with my little art account that i just made to make friends, but even that didn't work anymore because discoverability as a normal person was so bad starting then! It makes me so sad looking back because I feel like I would've made so much more art over the years if I had had a chance to still make art friends and make our ocs interact but alas, what's done is done and I found different creative outlets over the years :)

Hope you have a good time here on the forum!! :4u:

Hi! What a coincidence! Are you German or Belgian? :O (if you're comfortable disclosing that info ofc)

I'd love to post updates about the game when we start working on it! I'm excited to see there's more people on here interested in game dev!

I don't know if I have any unique recs, I really love Joy Division and Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo!

and THANKS for the compliment! I'm happy to hear you found different creative outlets over the years!
Barbs
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023 @568.87 »

I don't know nothing about this game, but surely I would get it. I mean cyborg plus metroidvania?! Lol two of my favourite things in a row  :ha: .

Thanks!! Like I said above, I'll probably share some updates here once we get started on development :D
Barbs
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023 @569.31 »

omg! annihilation is one of my favorite books, too! i actually have a signed copy of it, i saw him live waaayyyyy before the movie came out at a small meet up in orlando. i think he had just released borne, so he was touring to advertise it!

welcome to the forum! i'm new here as well!!  :transport:

WHAT that's so cool!!! Jeff seems like a really cool guy, I always enjoy his tweets about the wildlife in his garden!
Barbs
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023 @570.05 »

I think the glowing effect on your website is really nice.

I feel the same way. Do you also enjoy Mass Effect? :dive:

Thank you!
I actually just got the mass effect legendary edition gifted by a friend! I have an achy wrist so can't play video games right now but I'm excited to check it out as I've heard a lot of good things about it :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi