Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @96.98 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 904.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :skull: Websites are like whispers in the night  :skull:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  What social media do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Poll
Question: What social media do you use?
Facebook
Instagram
TikTok
X (Twitter)
Reddit
Tumblr
Pinterest
Other (please share!)
None

Author Topic: What social media do you use?  (Read 4071 times)
Marchy
Newbie ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2024 @38.73 »

The only one I'm still using at the moment is Threads, but that might change depending on how things go. Other than that I watch videos on TikTok and use Discord for a few communities I'm in. Social media just doesn't have the same appeal to me anymore after the doom scroll era began.
atari
Casual Poster ⚓︎

404 not found

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: atari
iMood: cottageram

View Profile WWW

Rubber Ducky !Joined 2024!
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2024 @743.87 »

Haven't seen a huge amount of peeps talking abt using twitter or... x *shudders* So I thought My reply might also be helpful to why I still use it :D
Facebook - I quit Facebook around three years ago. It had become a negative environment, and I was connected with over 2,000 "friends" who didn't really matter to me. The constant comparison was detrimental to my mental health.

Instagram - I use instagram as my main art platform my anime art and small business (i seem to get th emost traction on there since it's basically only dedicated to tomoko kuroki lmao). I don't particularly like or dislike the reels function, I just think it's kind of there. A lot of instagram is changing how you post to "optimize algorithmic growth" which usually just means posting an image as a reel instead. I hear a lot of talk about the AI scraping stuff but I'm personally not phased by it, the likelihood of all my art already having been stolen and scraped is so high I think the panic rn is a little odd imo.

TikTok - I can also agree it's addictive, probably also because it's almost entirely a video only format. Video formats at such a quick pace are extremely visually stimulating, and as an autist I can definitely say I've fallen into its trap before :drat: I think personally there are 3 reasons why it's so toxic on there. 1. The only way to engage with people is either making a video yourself on commenting on a video. Unless you use private messages there's almost no other way to voice your opinion on stuff, and since the video tool is so accessible, it easily leads to nasty people causing infighting in communities. 2. Obviously the demographic on there is just... way too young. It reminds me of the animation meme community in the way users try hold moral superiority over others while acting the same. It's like teens fighting in the courtyard, only this time a lot of doxxing and harassment from others gets involed. 3. I think because it's already so bad, it's seen as okay to get worse or stay bad, it's kike the status quo now  :sad:  I think there's a lot of good to be had on the site, but with the way it is rn I don't really like using it

Twitter - Twitter is a weird site for me. I loath so much about it yet post 10 times a day. It's a place where I can say my thoughts and (thanks to my art and insanity for watamote) have people listen. I can be weird, annoying, or just spam hundreds of screenshots from my favourite manga. It's almost freeing being able to have a space that let's me be a little weird. A lot of people don't like venting publicly (for good reasons) but I also think they don't understand the catharsis of having your issues be seen, yet not having anyone try and intervene (mostly cuz they're thousands of miles away). This isn't to say I vent on there, but it gives me the freedom to talk to people without the weight of social standards or physical human interaction. A lot of artists I like are also on there so I guess the ship is sinking and I'm gonna be on it
:tongue:

Reddit - Reddit I barely use, if I want to look into a niche community, or if I want to find an answer for a very obscure problem someone else solved 8 years ago, then it's perfect. I don't find myself really thinking of going on there at any given time though. It's more just there when I remember.

Tumblr - My Tumblr is enjoyable to use whenever I'm on it, but something about how the site looks just makes me less inclined to use it idk? Nothing in particular just the UI's vibe

Pinterest - I love looking at pictures on pinterest !! I love saving them in little categories and then going about my day. My phone storage hates all the pins i download and my boyfriend hates me filling his storage by sending them !! No but in all honesty I like pinterest a lot, although again the community seems to skew really young? Unsure why

Other - For other I have 6 !!
 - Youtube: I love youtube. I've almost always got a video playing in the background while i work and i love the freedom it allows for anyone to post on their. However i do feel the bar for quality is getting higher and higher making it a lot less accessible  :trash:
 - Sheezy.art: This is one I haven't seen mentioned but i LOVE it. It's based of the original sheezy.net from "back in the day" and has a wonderful small community. The gallery site format it has is something I've missed for so long :( !!! I try and engage with the art and community on there as much as possible (currently at over 1k comments lmao) and I also have a lot of fun using the html page customization !! If you're an artist or art enjoyer I recommend checking it out (although registration slots fill up FAST)
 - Furaffinity: I really like the UI of furaffinity but I do mostly use it to look at art more than anything else. Every now and then I'll get a random person giving me $100 for a YCH or commission I've had open for a year with no sales though so that's always nice :) The community is kinda weird (bad weird) and moderation too, but what site doesn't have it's issues.
 - Neocities: The community on neocities is really nice. I don't really see it as a "clout competition" or anything, it's more just like chatting with peers about our day or what we wanna do with our sites, it's lovely !! Not much else to say on the social aspect, although i could probably implement a guest book to get a little more interaction  :omg:
 - Melonland (you are here!!): I love this place so far. I love the UI i love the people i love the customization, i love everything !!! i can't wait to engage more here ^_^ (obviously don't have too much to say considering i joined yesterday lol)
 - Some other stragglers like fediverses, bluesky, etc: I mostly just have these for more niche stuff or in case another site just like... dies

I'm a bit of a sitehopper in the sense I am always on something, doing something, what that will be will vary site to site ofcourse. I love hearing how others use sites though. The ecosystems and subcommunities that form within social websites feels like something that should be studied more than it is (maybe I'll be the first :eyes: )
Kind regards, Atari @743.84

Make a Wish!
malice
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Perfect Weather For Some Tea And Making ArtFirst 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2024 @875.16 »

i just got rid of my twitter and instagram today, but i still use tumblr, spacehey, and discord :)

Ah, this is so funny to look back on because I'm now no longer on any of those sites either! I'm pretty much solely on forums/Neocities now and I LOVE it. I do miss some friends, but I gave them ways to contact me when I left those places. I love that I don't spend my time scrolling endlessly and when I am on the internet, I use it for things that feel more meaningful now. Instead of sending tiny messages on Discord or feeling the need to post something solely because other people might find it funny, I'm making longer, more meaningful posts and blogs and I only say things when I truly have something to say other than "lol real". I'm happier with the time I spend online and I think things through a lot more now :smile:

any/all + ev/eva ae/aer
Azure
Casual Poster ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: azuremillennium

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #48 on: Today at @999.07 »

The only mainstream(-ish) social media I really regularly check anymore is Tumblr—I have Reddit, but barely even open it, and I'm on Mastodon as well but I don't really use it all that much. I've been diving more into smaller, quieter social spaces lately because they're a lot calmer and a lot easier to be on, to me—places like Pillowfort and Dreamwidth. Not a fan of Cohost myself. I deleted Facebook, Instagram and the rest a couple years back and I haven't looked back! ^^
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What is your favourite piece of lost media/One you want found the most?

Started by Kitchen StaffBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 48
Views: 5159
Last post August 28, 2024 @972.95
by Scootarooni
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 41
Views: 4898
Last post August 01, 2024 @945.76
by arsenicCatnip
Can a website be "useless"?

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 45
Views: 5418
Last post September 15, 2023 @380.17
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi