Home Events! Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
September 08, 2024 - @102.99 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Stars Posts: 19/1k.beats ~ Boop! The forum will close in 898.beats! Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~  :4u:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  World Wild Web
| |-+  ☞ ∙ Life on the Web
| | |-+  What social media do you use?

« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Poll
Question: What social media do you use?
Facebook
Instagram
TikTok
X (Twitter)
Reddit
Tumblr
Pinterest
Other (please share!)
None

Author Topic: What social media do you use?  (Read 4073 times)
halcybutton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

it/ey/he

⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: halcybutton
iMood: halcybutton
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2024 @983.76 »

hmm, well outside of reddit, pinterest, and rarely instagram (trying to stop using it), i use..
  • spacehey (i miss when the site wasn't majority young teens, it's hard finding people 18+ on there)
  • pillowfort
  • owler
  • discord (begrudgingly)
  • multiverse (cute blog scrapbook type thing)
  • fediverse
the most commonly at least. if matrix counts then that as well. i used to use tumblr but as a trans person i don't really feel comfortable using that platform anymore. i've tried out all the big ones at least once, but they rarely stuck

HALCYON 
it/he/ey - EST
WG2k
Newbie ⚓︎

Rock the Dragon!

⛺︎ My Room
Matrix: Chat!
XMPP: Chat!

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2024 @12.03 »

Instagram - i mainly use it for irl friends other than that, i rarely use it
Twitter - barely used until i discovered my cousin was there too. I hop on there to goof off with him sometimes
Reddit - rarely use

Others:
Bluesky - I go there sometimes, mainly on my phone
Spacehey - idk why I brought it back but I sometimes check it
Blips/Owler - visit from time to time

Not sure if these count but I also use Discord, IRC, and Matrix (how much I use them is in order).

"Forced Spirit Fission allows the user to separate and manipulate energy from their target, granting them the ability to do things such as undo Fusion or Absorption techniques and free trapped souls. This technique is also shown to be able to indirectly revive some of the dead."
garystu
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2024 @222.13 »

Youtube, Tumblr, Discord, Telegram, Cohost (<Thinking of leaving cohost), and some Forum's including this one.

Social media I don't use but have Takes on:

Twitter- used it for 10 years and saw its community and function change in real time. I feel as if the frog who was being boiled in there, I left a year or so ago and I keep wondering why I didn't sooner. I used to follow Twitter accounts with Nitter RSS Feeds in the interim, but Elon Musk the cunt fucking broke the functionality Nitter relied on.

I have an instagram account but don't use it. I think its a real shame, I see good artworks leak out of Instagram all the time. But I find the algorithm feed and ad density make it unusable. Instagram is very hostile to RSS feeds and alternative front ends.

I don't use Lemmy, Mastodon, Bluesky, or Deviantart, but I have multiple accounts from those sites in my RSS Feed. I also think using RSS Feeds to lurk BlenderArtists.Org is a pro choice, and have a few smaller forums running the Discourse forum software in there too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024 @227.43 by garystu » Logged

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

bees
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: lobb

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2024 @826.37 »

Youtube, Tumblr, Discord, Telegram, Cohost (<Thinking of leaving cohost), and some Forum's including this one.

Any particular reason why you're leaving cohost? I've been looking into it and I'm undecided about joining, which is why I ask.

garystu
Jr. Member ⚓︎

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2024 @878.33 »

Any particular reason why you're leaving cohost? I've been looking into it and I'm undecided about joining, which is why I ask.

Not really. Its just kinda boring. I'm not getting much there that I couldn't get on Tumblr. The site supports RSS feeds, so I can continue to follow the few users I like that way.

the main site culture seem very attached to site admins, and the site's mascot, and I find that behaviour kind of annoying. I don't gel with it (I do hate fun).

gazafunds.com | Daily click for Palestine

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Signature Graphic ^^^ Credits
[close]
xoxoxoxoxoxo

xixxii
Full Member ⚓︎

they/them

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Web 1.0 Picture Size Expertthe xixxiiJoined 2024!
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2024 @238.72 »

it kind of depends on the definition of "use" haha! i regularly check twitter and cohost, but i only post on cohost. i semi-regularly check facebook to find events. i check tumblr once in a while when i want to see fanart of stuff i like.
i have an instagram account that i log into once every couple of months, but i don't really click with it or enjoy it, same with reddit. i recently made a pillowfort but i think that's also going on the "i dont actually use or like this" pile as well lol.

i am not much of a posting person, but i lurk all over the place! i'm not very good at the "social" part of social media.

seraph
Casual Poster ⚓︎

you're telling me a queer coded this?

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2024 @98.80 »

i mainly use pinterest for inspo and images, youtube for entertainment, and discord for texting

moonunions
Casual Poster ⚓︎

ヽ(・∀・)ノ yippiiiieeee

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Still knowing about Clippy in 2024Joined 2024!
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2024 @776.54 »

twitter: i have one account for following japanese artists, one public account, then a private to keep up with my friends/chat with them. i check this once per day and dodge as much discourse as i can since it's so rampant there lol. in the past i've had issues w/being harassed for fandom-related things (ugh), so i don't make public posts anymore, just retweets.

instagram: i also only browse this once in the mornings, but being bombarded with ads tires me out so it's the one i spend little to no time on. i used to be addicted to reels, though. DX mostly keeping it just to interact with some friends every now and then.

tumblr: this is the only social media i look forward to checking. it has its problems, sure, but i find it less offensive than twitter and instagram. i can customize my experience way more with the help of xkit. :D i make no personal posts myself, but i like that folks can tl;dr without being blocked by a character limit.

pinterest: i barely consider this social media, just because i am... not social on it LOL. like most ppl i use it for inspo boards. the ads they sneak in there are kind of a bother tho.

discord: i'm too shy to really talk in the servers i'm in, so i only use it to chat with my partner and one other friend. :')

tungl" border="0

please feed beefsteak, he hungers ➭ feed beefsteak!
BUTCHBONEZ
Full Member ⚓︎

certified analog horror junkie

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

uh oh! a pigeon got in!Thanks for being rad!Local GothJoined 2024!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2024 @153.53 »

None unless you count spacehey

you are safe here, traveler

HY / XE / FANG
milo
Casual Poster ⚓︎

whoa!!

⛺︎ My Room
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2024 @740.59 »

I have pretty much moved away from all forms of contemporary social media except Instagram, which I mainly use to look at pics of Sonic the Hedgehog and to send funny pics to my friends.

I started reconsidering social media usage during 2020 when my mom started getting sucked into the weird, far-right facebook world and just started posting random, stupid political junk, after a lifetime of not being interested in anything political. I deleted my account and never looked back. Good riddance.

I was on Twitter for a bit right before Musk bought it... It was okay, I followed some neat accounts, but never got much out of it. I deleted my Twitter after all the changes because why bother at this point...

These days I've kept myself busy with forums and discord servers. I seek out smallish communities where I can actually have discussions with people and not just post a comment or reply in the void and hope someone clicks the like button.

Semper
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Lurking and learning

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: semper

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2024 @889.92 »

Arguably, I use Pinterest and Reddit, but I do not count them as part of my active social medias, because I only use them to lurk (art and fashion references on Pinterest and general interests on Reddit). I have not posted on either of these.

Tumblr - I've used this one for well over a decade. I was most active on my art blog, since I was using it as a gallery. Now that I have my personal website with gallery sections attached I don't feel all that inclined to share art on it any more. It's also not all that great of a social media platform. The userbase is not particularly liquid, and the platform management is fairly lacklustre. I've been lurking more than actually sharing anything new, but I'm keeping my account alive for the time being.

Instagram - I've been using my Insta far more often, after I made a more pragmatic assessment of its value. Insta has a larger userbase than something like Tumblr. A lot of those users are average people with money to spend and Insta facilitates those tendencies. Also, Insta adjusts its algo to what is happening locally to a user, which works for someone like me who likes to exhibit my work at local festivals, cons, and exhibitions. I am aware of what Meta is doing with AI and I think it sucks, and I feel for the people affected, and would like to see it either removed or at the very least a proper opt out option available to all users. But, in terms of my own art being mined for these MLMs, I am not too pressed. I'm not maintaining my Insta as a gallery, but simply as a posting board where I only share cropped snippits of my art. My gallery is on my website, which has a robots.txt attached to keep that kind of rubbish out.

Webtoon - I actually consider this a social media site, just laser focused on a particular type of media, that being... webtoons! If you are cool with playing their game when it comes to formatting your comic pages in their preferred way, they will push readers to your work, and to the Patreon button that is attached to the front of your webtoon's archive. I do not consider Webtoon an archive for my work, because the mods of this platform can be a bit strict when it comes to any suggestive (queer) subject matter, no matter how mild, and will delete comic pages out of your archive. But, like Insta it has a decent discoverability algo, and the categorization system is pretty easy to sift through. I just think it's a good idea to have this in tandem with a properly archival site for your comics.

:cheerR:

Since building my own website, spending more time on forums, and even keeping in contact with friends through snail mail (or just hanging out in person), I have begun to treat social media platforms as a tool for promotion, rather than an archive for my art or as a primary means to socialize. I also make sure that people are aware of my newsletter, so that if I need to dump these platforms for whatever reason, I have a central point for updates. The edges have been sanded off.

Feel free to climb the tree
sibusen
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Failed graphic designer

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: sibu7

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2024 @627.92 »

Looking through posts here and haven't seen mention of Linkedin yet  :ok: Unfortunately it seems to be a 'must' if you're trying to get a job in tech, design, etc... I actually quite enjoy scrolling through it in small doses to get industry related information but I just can't get myself to post anything there, it's so cringe.

I also use Facebook because I am stuck there. I just can't delete my account even though I want to, because I feel I lose all my connections and I actually enjoy finding special interest groups there...

I have an Instagram account but I've never gotten into it and keep forgetting it exists. I post a photo on there now and then but I just feel the whole vibe there is about bragging and it puts me off.

I was really late to discovering Reddit and frankly I just love scrolling through it. I've managed to stay away from the toxic subs and actually find it very helpful to ask for stuff or discuss issues.

Although I love independent social media and the web revival scene I find it a bit difficult to find spaces where I can discuss things and nobody I know in my real life circles are into it so I feel like I'm just chatting to myself mostly in the fediverse, spacehey, etc... This forum seems nice though.  :dive:
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2024 @649.36 »

Linkedin yet  :ok:
I totally use this too! Though I don't really think of it as social media, its more like a digital CV/Resume with extra features. That said I do enjoy scrolling it every now and then too - its so painfully corporate, but in a kinda friendly non-self aware way, like people there really are trying to do their best but they are trapped in the office vortex :drat:

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
sibusen
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Failed graphic designer

⛺︎ My Room
iMood: sibu7

View Profile WWW

Joined 2024!
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2024 @653.61 »

kinda friendly non-self aware way
Haha yeah you're right! It's like everyone knows it's all professional and a bit fake but it's like a common agreement that this is just how we behave in 'the office'. I think I just need to get in there and post some stuff too... I know it's silly but it's like it's embarrassing to show friends on there my 'professional' personality... :innocent:
invader_gvim
Casual Poster ⚓︎

My husband kept loving me when I became a girl.

⛺︎ My Room

View Profile WWW

Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestJoined 2024!
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2024 @891.46 »

:ozwomp: yes! I likewise use those sites. I also used to use lemmy but the community seemed to have too much of a reddit attitude. Now I think the primary way I communicate with people I know irl is discord, which is a nightmare from a security and privacy perspective tbh. I try to remain anonymous though, so soon it will probably be time to move everyone over to Matrix.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

What is your favourite piece of lost media/One you want found the most?

Started by Kitchen StaffBoard ☺︎ ∙ General Interests

Replies: 48
Views: 5159
Last post August 28, 2024 @972.95
by Scootarooni
Whats your life like? (Time Capsule Thread)

Started by MelooonBoard ⚚ ∙ Life on Earth!

Replies: 41
Views: 4898
Last post August 01, 2024 @945.76
by arsenicCatnip
Can a website be "useless"?

Started by DJoftheCovenBoard ☌ ∙ Melon's Laboratory

Replies: 45
Views: 5418
Last post September 15, 2023 @380.17
by shevek

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi