Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 16, 2024 - @205.15 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Two Star Posts: 15/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Art & Games
| |-+  ♖ ∙ Video Games
| | |-+  Old games that actually hold up today

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Old games that actually hold up today  (Read 807 times)
« on: November 04, 2022 @85.83 »

What are some old games that still look and play great today? I'm not talking about games you're nostalgic for and still enjoy. I mean games that a new player could pick up today and still think is graphically appealing and doesn't have that retro-game "clunk" in the controls. You may still love an old game, but you have to admit that it is ugly and a chore to play compared to modern games in the genre.

I just replayed Doom 3 again today for the first time in years, and it inspired this thread. Modern shooters still play pretty much identical to how Doom 3 did, whether you're using a keyboard and mouse or gamepad. And the graphics still look really good. Stylized graphics always hold up better than realistic, and the bulky character designs and stark shadows aged really well compared to games like FarCry or Half Life 2 that came out around the same time (not to say either of those games are bad, but they definitely show their age compared to Doom 3).

You could really add any of the old Doom games as well. No matter how old they get, the style, soundtrack and gameplay of the classic Doom games always holds up.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022 @155.49 »

I might be a little bias because its my ALL TIME favourite game; but I think SSX Tricky holds up really well (So do all the other SSX games). The graphics have aged and are very PS2 aesthetics, but once the game starts you forget about the visuals really fast. The soundtrack is fantastic 90s electronica and the controls for the most part still feel snappy and as you'd expect. I think it you sat a 10 year old down with it today they would enjoy it just as much as I did when I was 10!

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022 @167.99 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Zusk
Casual Poster

StatusCafe: zusk

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022 @356.50 »

I have recently become a bit hooked to IQ; Intelligent Qube. The PS1 in general is filled with these sorts of weird hidden gems.

Also, hate to say this, but since the Gamecube's 20 years old technically those would count as 'old'. Super Mario Sunshine, Kirby Air Ride and most of the other gamecube big hitters still feel amazing (Notably point for Melee still having a huge competitive scene even today.)
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022 @185.54 »

I might be a little bias because its my ALL TIME favourite game; but I think SSX Tricky holds up really well (So do all the other SSX games). The graphics have aged and are very PS2 aesthetics, but once the game starts you forget about the visuals really fast. The soundtrack is fantastic 90s electronica and the controls for the most part still feel snappy and as you'd expect. I think it you sat a 10 year old down with it today they would enjoy it just as much as I did when I was 10!

I never played Tricky, but SSX3 is one of my all-time favourite games. I loved being able to ride from the top of the mountain to the bottom without any loading screens, and the music and art style are both great.
sig
Sr. Member ⚓︎

the great

iMood: sigmatic

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Certified chocoboGoose!Joined 2022!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022 @603.89 »

I might be a little bias because its my ALL TIME favourite game; but I think SSX Tricky holds up really well

There is no week that goes by without me randomly starting to chant 'IT'S TRICKY TRICKY TRICKY TRICKY'

I thought the original Half-Life still holds up really well when I played it a few years back. The game is visually pretty dated but I still think it looks appealing, especially in the atmosphere it creates. Besides, I never played it Back In The Day so at least I know my judgement isn't clouded by nostalgia!

The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they go.
Plasmon
Casual Poster ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2023 @940.03 »

1. Deus Ex. The graphics are pretty bad, even by 1999 standards, but the gameplay is amazing—it's perfectly open-ended. Not to mention the way the game's story became even more relevant with time.

Honestly, I think it puts a lot of modern immersive sims to absolute shame. Deus Ex is so good at giving you the freedom to solve challenges however you want it makes you forget all the racism in the Hong Kong section. (That part didn't hold up so well, but at least the gameplay in that level was great.)

2. F.E.A.R.. Yeah the graphics don't melt systems nowadays, but the graphics are still very good, and it's awesome to see the way bullets cause giant sparks and shit everywhere.

Even if the game's story sucks, F.E.A.R. somehow manages to keep me hooked with how awesome the gunfights look and feel—I could talk about how much fun the shotgun in that game is for ages (or at least a couple minutes).

You know those tiny bubbles inside your eyes you sometimes catch? Yeah, I’m trackin’ ’em down as we speak.
brisray
Full Member ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2023 @47.89 »

I've never been much of a gamer but puzzle games like TIM (The Incredible Machine) from the mid90's were always good.

But what I'm really writing about is Sherlock which is even older than TIM. Computer magazines used to have floppy disks and later still CDs attached to them with a variety of software. Sherlock was shareware (try before you buy) but one magazine made a mistake and gave away the full version of it. https://www.kaser.com/sherwin.html

About 25 years ago I gave a copy of that to some woman and she still spends hours playing it.

That wasn't the worst mistake some of the magazines made. One of them gave away the Marburg computer virus to anyone who used their disk, including me, except it didn't come to life until 3 months after it was installed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6k4cz3Z9a

That "some woman" became my wife and I know for certain she still plays it. It's the only game I absolutely MUST save when we get new computers.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Vaguely similar topics! (3)

the era of rpgmaker games

Started by cinniBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 27
Views: 4058
Last post August 16, 2023 @267.22
by Riqo
newgrounds' art games section

Started by DarmodejBoard ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 0
Views: 1155
Last post February 03, 2022 @906.33
by Darmodej
I'm addicted to sandbox games

Started by Icey!Board ♖ ∙ Video Games

Replies: 6
Views: 1503
Last post February 22, 2023 @523.34
by Guest

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi