Home Entrance Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
March 28, 2024 - @690.68 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 42/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  hiya!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hiya!  (Read 502 times)
anglade
Casual Poster ⚓︎

bonk

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: February 26, 2023 @53.60 »

hi everyone! i'm avram - he/they/she, young adult - i'm a cancer sun gemini moon who loves long walks on the beach and— lol just kidding
i like anime, manga (more the latter than the former to be honest), and whatever video games i can get my grubby little hands on. i also rock climb for fun! my website can be found here!

:unite:

:unite::unite::unite:
Cattafang
Casual Poster ⚓︎

“Gitcy: Is good for your spleen.” - Caddicarus

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023 @60.89 »

heya there! i’m also new here. i like the colors on your site a lot (and that silly lil cat gif)!
anglade
Casual Poster ⚓︎

bonk

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023 @62.93 »

heya there! i’m also new here. i like the colors on your site a lot (and that silly lil cat gif)!

thank you! i tried to make it look relaxing

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023 @581.92 »

Hi avram, welcome to the forum  :ha:

Are you saying you don't like walks on the beach?! Iv always though it would be fun to make a whole game world based on running towards and away from waves! Thats a great start to a site, its very unique and I agree with Cat about the colours.

Happy surfing to you too!

Ooo-- You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack --ooO
* If you haven't already check out the forum welcome post, and forum usage guide!
* New to website making? Here is a complete(ish) guide!
* Visit your look/layout to pick a theme and set a default colour/font for your messages!
* Feeling shy and unsure what to do? Maybe post a song you like here!
* Finally don't forget to share the forum and invite friends! We have some way cool graphics over here!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023 @995.60 »

Welcome! Do you have any tips for someone getting into rock climbing? I might be interested!!! I hope you enjoy your time here :ozwomp:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

anglade
Casual Poster ⚓︎

bonk

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023 @179.26 »

Welcome! Do you have any tips for someone getting into rock climbing? I might be interested!!! I hope you enjoy your time here :ozwomp:

Hmm... I just started climbing myself, so I can't really give much advice, but I'll give what I can!

I personally started climbing with my university's club, so if you have anything like that in your area, give it a whirl.
Also, look and see if you have any gyms near you, and if those gyms have week/10-day passes(this is how my friend got into the sport).
Seriously, though. Start out at a gym. They tend to be far safer, especially if you're bouldering (climbing without ropes), and depending on the gym you might be able to get certified to belay, lead climb, top rope, etc. if they have the equipment(though it might be at a monetary cost).

Which brings me to my next point! Rope climbing(the thing that encompasses that weird jargon I mentioned before) takes training; it's pretty safe if done right, but the higher routes involved mean you really need to practice proper safety procedure. Bouldering isn't without risks either, but then again, neither is any other sport.
On the subject of equipment, most climbing gyms will let you borrow or rent climbing shoes and harnesses. Places with rope climbing should probably come with their own ropes, but I've never actually been rope climbing, so don't quote me on that. You'll probably have to buy your own chalk(to improve your grip), but it's not a necessity. You can also absolutely buy your own equipment.

Each route is generally color-coded on the wall. On the way up, your hands and feet should stay on the hand-/footholds of the same color. For bouldering, routes are rated V0/VB-V10+, with V0/VB being the easiest and V10+ being the hardest. Rope climbing has its own set of grades I know nothing about. When you put both hands on the top piece(generally indicated by tape), you're done! Now you can climb down on any pieces you like. You can jump down, in theory, but it's a good way to get hurt.
If you fall off the wall, make sure to not stick your arms out behind you. I know the instinct is strong, but you can easily sprain a joint or worse. Try to land on your feet or butt, and go for a soft landing. The quieter, the better.

Finally... Jargon!
Problem - a route set by a setter at a gym or on a rock face
Beta - a climber's solution for getting up a problem
Belaying - using your weight as a counterweight for a person who's rope climbing in case they fall
Top roping - rope climbing in which the rope is attached to the top of the problem
Lead climbing - rope climbing in which the climber has to attach the rope to the wall as they go
Bouldering - climbing without ropes
And much more I don't actually know the meaning of or how to explain.

I really hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi