Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
July 27, 2024 - @388.15 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Three Star Posts: 32/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :ozwomp: Reminder: Forum messages stay readable for years! Keep yours high quality! :ozwomp:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  Hello from the grave!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hello from the grave!  (Read 650 times)
skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: skull_aton

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: July 11, 2023 @541.01 »

Hello! My name is Skell (they/them) and I'm super new here! Pleased to meet you! :ha:

i'm an adult person from australia who decided to re-love and re-learn what Life has to offer! Currently mid-career changing to be a web dev (but obviously still way far from actually creating 'Good Content.')

i love y2k aesthetics and content, as it's something that I grew up with. i still remember having my own geocities and xanga. (RIP babies you will be missed.)  :dl:

so I've decided to dive back into old web content, as it's something i loved so fondly! There's something sweet about carving your own little space on the internet! Something that is You! And nobody can take away! *staring blankly at other social media :)*

A little about me!
  • i love video games! Especially indie games!
  • i write fanfic on my free time, and am looking forward to challenging myself in Nanowrimo this coming November!
  • i'm learning how to game dev! Currently learning twine and godot's engine!
  • horror-genre is fun!
  • if i could eat weirdcore/dreamcore, i would. the aesthetics look so tasty.
  • I also really love cartoons!

if you ever want to visit my site, it's right here!

I look forward to chatting with you all!  :4u:

:ozwomp: :ha: :4u: partyin in the graveyard :4u: :ha: :ozwomp:
phexe
Casual Poster ⚓︎

StatusCafe: phexe
iMood: phexe

View Profile WWW

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2023 @763.06 »

hii welcome!! You have some really cool looking projects on your webpage!!  :ozwomp:

SilkSkull
Hero Member ⚓︎

iMood: SilkSkull
Matrix: Chat!

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!MARIO64.PNGCool Dude AwardJoined 2022!High Speed Ozwomp!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2023 @804.20 »

welcome fellow skull person! Your website looks super cozy and gives me very good vibes xD. I hope you enjoy your return to the old web  :grin:

She/Her
"Will you stop adding lampposts to my games?"

plantovision
Jr. Member ⚓︎

born to ":3" forced to ":)"

StatusCafe: plantovision
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!Pocket Icelogist!Joined 2022!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2023 @815.63 »

hiii!

It seems we've accumulated quite a few gamedevs on here, myself included. That being said, Godot is definitely a engine I've been meaning to try, but I haven't heard much of Twine, what's that like?

:unite:

born to be silly, forced to be stupid
skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023 @99.91 »

hii welcome!! You have some really cool looking projects on your webpage!!  :ozwomp:

Awa! thank you! they're all really baby projects (i'm a little embarrassed to put them up) but i think it's essential to document my progress! :D

welcome fellow skull person! Your website looks super cozy and gives me very good vibes xD. I hope you enjoy your return to the old web  :grin:

ANOTHER SKULL!! Hello!!! And thank you awwwwe  :4u: your site looks super cozy too!! I loved sailor moon when I was growing up!

hiii!

It seems we've accumulated quite a few gamedevs on here, myself included. That being said, Godot is definitely a engine I've been meaning to try, but I haven't heard much of Twine, what's that like?

:unite:

Hii!!

Oh sweet!!! What engines have you learned? :D
Twine is technically a game engine, but I've seen some debate with it. It's essentially an interactive story making tool that uses HTML, CSS, and Javascript! You can create really beautiful stories with it. Often these games can be played in the browser. If you like horror, I suggest playing a man outside or Please Answer Carefully.

manrevisited
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Some Guy, TM

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023 @648.06 »

Hi! I haven't done nanowrimo in a few years because November is normally hell for grad students, but maybe I'll think of something writing-adjacent to do this year now that I'm free. What're you going to be writing? I'd love to hear about it!
skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2023 @72.00 »

hi hi!!

Oh I can imagine how stressful it is for grad students! By the way, I gave a gander over at your writing, and I love your poetry! (Boneworks scratches something in my brain that I haven't quite figured out yet)

I plan on writing a short horror novel about a cult leader, but I'm still sling shotting ideas around. I wouldn't mind talking more about it in a PM! :)

Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2023 @79.31 »

Hi Skell! Welcoem to the forum  :ozwomp:

Im a big fan of your purple text choice! Also I am determined to get you a new phone that will work in Australia  :grin: Also Also Im also learning Godot atm too, I think in a few years it could be a big deal!

Whats your fav ghost story?

Hope you enjoy your time here!!

☀︎☁︎☻→ You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack! ←☻✌︎☀︎
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023 @101.59 by Melooon » Logged

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2023 @646.42 »

Hi Melon!! Thank you! I'm glad to be here!!

I very much appreciate your determination to help me out with my phone ordeal!! You've given me much to research, and I am loving every bit of it!! (/genuine!)  :4u:

Also Also Im also learning Godot atm too, I think in a few years it could be a big deal!

GASP! That's awesome!! I really do believe it's a super underrated engine!! I really do hope it takes off!

Whats your fav ghost story?

This is actually really hard to pinpoint! Hmmmm!!! I don't really know!!
I love a lot of creepypasta stories, but they're not really ghost stories, per se.

I guess if I had to choose, the Bongcheon-Dong Ghost webcomic really scared me to my core. I'm honestly still afraid to re-read it, and it's been years, haha!

manrevisited
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Some Guy, TM

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2023 @596.52 »

Maybe I should learn Godot for the project I've been kicking around in my head :p I've always been content with Unity, but people keep talking about it! Anybody wanna sell me on it?
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking

View Profile WWW

Thanks for being rad!a puppy for your travelsAlways My PalFirst 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!...
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023 @614.39 »

I've always been content with Unity, but people keep talking about it! Anybody wanna sell me on it
Im not sure I can sell you on it; its very much a calculated choice based on the projects you do and what you wanna get out of those projects; but I can give some of the reasons I'd pick Godot over Unity and vice versa!

Why I would not use Godot:
  • VR games, Unity is super well integrated with VR development APIs
  • Graphics in Unity are mostly on par with Unreal now, so it can look incredible
  • Unity has a very long history of 3rd party assets to use in projects that can save a lot of time.
  • Unity kinda just works, Iv not found many cases where a Unity build has weird bugs
  • Unity is very established and has decades of support info available
  • Unity has the benefit of a clear focused development team that can push for big projects like its DOTS entity system.

Why I would use Godot:
  • I hate the Unity splash screen!
  • I don't need/want AAA level graphics in my games
  • The 3rd party asset culture in unity is actually kinda gross and predatory, getting indie devs to pay for assets for games that will never make money back.
  • Unity is very old and kinda stale; Godot is fresh and still rapidly developing.
  • Godot being open source means that in 50 years, most of its games will still be portable to whatever computers they have then.
  • Also Godots open source culture is gonna gel better with the rapidly growing Linux gaming scene.
  • Unities priority is profit, Godot's priority is games and indie devs - this will start to matter more and more the deeper the ecosystem gets.
  • Godot and Blender have a natural reason to work together, and I think we will start to see integration between the two that is just not possible with proprietary things like 3DStudioMax and Unity.
  • I think as Godot gets better, games studios will start to choose it over Unity to avoid license fees - so its potentially a better future career investment.

That's at least a few bullet point reasons; even if its not an exhaustive list!

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
juniper-fairy12
Newbie ⚓︎

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023 @920.46 »

Hi Skell! I'm Juniper (she/her) :ha:  Just visited your site. I'm also in the middle of a career change to do data analytics. I absolutley love your site!!  :transport:

:unite:Juniper:unite:
skull-aton
Casual Poster ⚓︎

Skell || They/Them

View Profile WWW

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023 @287.59 »

Awa!! I saw your message on my guestbook!! It's nice to meet you, Juniper!! Also, shucks, you're too kind. there's so much I need to fix with it, but!! That's how web revival stuff is, y'know? haha!

I'm also in the middle of a career change to do data analytics.

Same!! It's the most stressful, scariest thing I've ever done! But I think career changing is so worth it. I wish you good luck!!  :4u:

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi