Artifacts Gallery Guilds Search Wiki Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining?
Autumn, 30 Sep 2026 - @741.54
Forum Activity: Four Stars Random | Recent Posts | Guild Recents
News: :4u: ~~~~~~~~~~~ Guild Events: MelonLand's Seasonal RPG Jam
Super News: ~~MelonLand's Halloween Profile Design Contest 2026~~
+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Computer Land
| |-+  ⛽︎ ∙ Technology
| | |-+  Payphone spotting! - Post pictures of Payphones


« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print Embed
Author Topic: Payphone spotting! - Post pictures of Payphones  (Read 27390 times)
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« on: Autumn, 23 Nov 2021 @748 » Toggle Font Embed

PaY PhOne spOTtinG 👀 👀 👀 📸

This idea is loosely based on 2600 Magazine, they have a page dedicated to picture of payphone sent in by readers. I find Iv taken to spotting payphones wherever I go, soon there may be none left :notgood: Be aware, payphone spotting is a valid and serious sport and you can and will become rich doing it!!

If you spot a payphone in your local area or on your travels, take a picture of it and post it here! Together we will save the payphones (in picture form)

https://nonit.me/external/images/IMG_4654.jpg
Kinsale, Ireland - 2021

https://nonit.me/external/images/P5280250.JPG
Fuji Q Park, Japan - 2019

Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
CooperationIsKey
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


Something Clever
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: CooperationIsKey
iMood: CooperationIsKey

Artifacts:
Sent On Earth By The Almighty TallestFirst 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #1 on: Autumn, 24 Nov 2021 @119 » Toggle Font Embed

Well dang, I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw a payphone. Maybe outside my favorite Chinese restaurant (rip)? That was years ago already.

Logged

https://i.imgur.com/5TGaeNp.gif https://i.imgur.com/T0suM4c.gif
Nightdrift
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


Suspicious Activity™
⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: nightdrift

Artifacts:
Great Posts PacmanFirst 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #2 on: Autumn, 26 Nov 2021 @113 » Toggle Font Embed

One of the small things that always struck me while going through airports is passing by sections inside the terminals/concourse where you know there used to be a bunch of payphones because the stalls are all still there -- but the actual phones have all been removed and the airport hasn't figured out what to replace them with yet. It's a bit of a nostalgic bummer, but I guess it goes with the times. That said, it does warm my heart to see efforts to document these little guys in photo form -- will be sure to snap any photos if I see any rare payphones out and about. The one in Kinsale's got such a delightful personality to it :':wink:

Logged

https://nightdrift.neocities.org/images/personal/banner.png
Status Cafe Profile
xandra
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


i want to be with you everywhere
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: xandra
iMood: xandra0

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Spring :^}OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #3 on: Autumn, 30 Nov 2021 @944 » Toggle Font Embed

i love this! here's a payphone i spotted in london (there's still a lot there!):

https://i.imgur.com/U9bvVeg.jpg

Logged

https://visitriverton.com/siggy.php?id=124
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎
*****
View Profile WWWArt


So many stars!
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games
RSS: RSS

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
You're a Star!Flinstone VitaminWavy Shoulder-Length Hair with BangsBug!Top HatI got robbed by Dan Q on Melonland!
« Reply #4 on: Spring, 12 Mar 2022 @019 » Toggle Font Embed

Spotted in Cork, Ireland on the 4th of March 2022!

https://nonit.me/external/images/phone-cork-1.jpg https://nonit.me/external/images/phone-cork-3.jpg

« Last Edit: Spring, 12 Mar 2022 @022 by Melooon » Logged


everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered

Artifact Swap: black n cyan yappin kittayHave a chillpillRed Tulip100 coins<3eyntivemds pet fishcurious fish
easy_breezy
Jr. Member
**
View Profile


PonPon
⛺︎ My Room
iMood: hax_man

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!OG! Joined 2021!
« Reply #5 on: Spring, 28 Apr 2022 @966 » Embed

i love this! here's a payphone i spotted in london (there's still a lot there!):

https://i.imgur.com/U9bvVeg.jpg

Can you time travel in those?

Logged

So I was at the cash register when I realized, I GOT NO MONEY. I was seriously broke.
Sylvian
Casual Poster
*
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2022!
« Reply #6 on: Spring, 29 Apr 2022 @039 » Embed

I like payphone aesthetics, I have an idea to install a self designed VOIP payphone outside of my house or business. However, there are a few problems with this idea. Firstly, it probably violates various zoning laws or permit things. Secondly, in the case of a residential area, it gives a pretext for strange / unknown people from the street to approach my house on a regular basis. Probably for a commercial space it makes more sense, since it could be used to invite people to the place of business.

Physical analog phone-lines (rather than digitized VOIP lines) sadly are no longer in place in many places. I'm curious if we could have an alternative form of internet using analog lines again (a stronger version of dialup)

I really want to try to beef up my phone space, but it's difficult to do this without increasing the risk of toll fraud and other problems. Still, it's worth doing (interactive IVR for my site, a payphone IVR when I eventually get a space where it is safe and acceptable for me to install an art payphone, basically IVR used for artistic ideas either in a physical or virtual space (e.g., choose your own adventure game that is only accessible from that phonebooth, perhaps as part of an ARG))

An interesting story about a person who maintained a phone booth on his property that a lost child used to phone home.
https://news.yahoo.com/lost-child-uses-local-minnesota-174654952.html

« Last Edit: Spring, 29 Apr 2022 @051 by Sylvian » Logged

Memory
Guest

« Reply #7 on: Spring, 30 Apr 2023 @483 » Embed

Sacramento



* C44020BD-312F-4892-A03B-038151534B2A.jpeg (175.66 kB, 480x640 - viewed 248 times.)
Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #8 on: Spring, 07 May 2023 @153 » Embed

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/uvGGasT6O_-q0sUMXxJJMs5M-8OOWP0mk6FImMwZBScFBM4onGxwFS23QhmoC3eRt1PStEF9ZmWixNiOQ8vdbVPzI5SXu3GsQxhKPMPOqj4M15A530se2qk_c3T2WrUkCXguhFxTtw=w2400

Vancouver

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/a9Syb6w-CVfBFL_XKRMB-24Qghn9qVDUiLCY6Grl8Dbwg40JXTK4gs9V_Kz-DGJbDuKDBgnmOyh6BG1MO7TO0FbzzljlWppaT3w3X4pHZRvzotRBYPYMPfVfQRCSSITu1Z3fBj4MJw=w2400

Do not ask me what is in there. It’s downtown eastside that’s all you need to know.

Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #9 on: Spring, 11 May 2023 @910 » Embed

Portland

This one still works!



* 953E9516-E581-4045-B74C-1A3738D6ACBE.jpeg (403.2 kB, 960x1280 - viewed 236 times.)
Logged
Rol
Full Member ⚓︎
***
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #10 on: Summer, 02 Jun 2023 @896 » Toggle Font Embed

I had passed by a payphone on a vacation a year back. Sadly, I never took a photo of it!  :drat:
If I go there again, I'll make sure to get a photo of it if it still happens to be there.

Logged
skull-aton
Jr. Member ⚓︎
**
View Profile WWW


Skell || They/Them
⛺︎ My Room
SpaceHey: Friend Me!
iMood: skull_aton

Artifacts:
First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #11 on: Autumn, 17 Sep 2023 @701 » Toggle Font Embed

I have quite literally been thinking about this thread for months.
Tipping back and forth. should i post? should i not post? Quite the question.

The reason why I'm hesitant is because payphones aren't dead in my country. Here's an article by Telstra as to why they're still around.

But when I lived in another country, I realised how precious these little phones are! And how they sadly are not maintained.

Anyways, here's the payphone down the street from me. :)

https://64.media.tumblr.com/f48cbaffadc8358c0c9a2f442449ea5d/eb0b5418af0ee56e-d9/s2048x3072/663a861ddd351969950f6f0b8aecd00cd16e579a.jpg

Logged

https://64.media.tumblr.com/6f82bd94775a8cd766c1047f47d183ef/06c9a764b06c95ff-07/s500x750/3ecc48185da354adb6ef1227b1774e9a5b8d100a.gif
:ozwomp: :ha: :4u: partyin in the graveyard :4u: :ha: :ozwomp:
https://64.media.tumblr.com/6f82bd94775a8cd766c1047f47d183ef/06c9a764b06c95ff-07/s500x750/3ecc48185da354adb6ef1227b1774e9a5b8d100a.gif
Memory
Guest

« Reply #12 on: Autumn, 19 Sep 2023 @402 » Embed

Oy mate! What a fantastic way to make use of the old telephone infrastructure. A public telephone network for all. Get people away from forcing people to use mobile phones for everything. That's a way to do it!

In the attachments, a Telekom-pink payphone in Germany. They're scattered around various parts of the city, but are they ever in use? I wonder how expensive it really is to maintain them. They look like they last forever.



* tel1.gif (88.49 kB, 512x384 - viewed 214 times.)

* tel2.gif (94.11 kB, 512x384 - viewed 220 times.)
Logged
Memory
Guest

« Reply #13 on: Winter, 21 Jan 2024 @189 » Embed

god i saw so many payphones last year and couldnt photograph them because we had to trek along -_- heres this semi-local one -_-
https://64.media.tumblr.com/5beeedd35faa68e64c0c19b6c44ac354/93bb804e25df6297-34/s1280x1920/d045134e92226cdbb0ef69214b8655d94c397eab.jpg
his name is tobias.

Logged
Yaya
Sr. Member ⚓︎
****
View Profile WWW


⛺︎ My Room
StatusCafe: yaya

Guild Memberships:
Artifacts:
Live Slow Die YoungWelcome Back !Joined 2024!
« Reply #14 on: Winter, 23 Jan 2024 @199 » Embed

Oh this threat is AMAZING!

I feel like I see a lot of payphone booths with the phone ripped out and I rarely see a working one but I'm gonna start looking!!

Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print Embed 
« previous next »
 

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021 | Privacy Notice | Send Feedback | Supporters ♥ Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP | Mobile


MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi
@000 Melon
Land
Forum Art Hub Chat Webring Explore Random Recent Tenement Arcade Want to Login or Join ? Web Craft Guide Graphic Catalogue Wiki Help I'm Lost! Link Land Newsletters Image Stream Minecraft: Online
Zap!
Passport Sites tamaNOTchi Asatte Add your site?
Aero Archive Onio Cafe 32 Bit Cafe Status Cafe