Home Entrance Everyone Wiki Search Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. - Thinking of joining the forum??
April 19, 2024 - @507.65 (what is this?)
Forum activity rating: Four Star Posts: 56/1k.beats Unread Topics | Unread Replies | Own Posts | Own Topics | Random Topic | Recent Posts
News: :transport: :transport: More is More :transport: :transport:

+  MelonLand Forum
|-+  Forum Hub
| |-+  ❤︎ ∙ Greetings and Introductions
| | |-+  greetings from the depths of the sea!!

« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: greetings from the depths of the sea!!  (Read 463 times)
HadalpelagicROV

but that's such a messy word, "forever" --

StatusCafe: demipalladium

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« on: April 24, 2023 @163.52 »

not literally, unfortunately v-v

hi! I'm HadalpelagicROV -- ROV or Haddie for short -- and I found MelonLand when someone advertised their MelonLand-connected site on a browser site I play (they only run user-submitted ads so no data collection & I have ublock origin disabled for them -- most ads are just "hey look at my cat", "i have comms open if u want art ;)", "here's a meme have a good day", etc, honestly a very good system), and I poked around and found myself here! After a little while I decided to dip my toes into making an acct here and checking out associated projects :D

I'd describe myself as "very new" to the web revival scene considering I didn't know it existed until like a week and a half ago & have virtually no background in anything computer/technology/etc LOL. I also don't have a ton of experience with web coding -- mostly very basic bbcode, and some very limited html & css, though I can do moderately complex spreadsheets -- and I don't have a website or blog currently. I'm here because I really resonated with a lot of the values on Melon's manifesto.

Honestly, even though I was only around for the tail end of the old internet and didn't experience much of it, I really miss some aspects of it -- the customizability, the self-expression, and especially the ability to click links & just explore one of the greatest human inventions without constant fear of unwittingly ending up a victim of a scam or malware or something. The exploration of the internet is the biggest thing for me that I feel like we've lost in the modern age and I didn't even realize how badly I was missing it until I stumbled into this project.

More about me, personally: I really like outer space and enjoy birding, I really enjoy writing (fanfic included lol) and studying English, I love talking about creative ideas, I play lots of pet sims, and I'm a big big fan of writing letters! I'm currently working on several crocheting projects and I'm getting into watercolors too. Not saying that I'm *good* at any of those things, mind, XD but there's never too many ways to express yourself creatively! I just enjoy making things that didn't exist before, really.

Forums have been a big part of my life growing up and while I do generally prefer chatrooms nowadays, there's nothing like posting to a forum board! I've happily spent hours formatting bbcode on forum posts to make sure everything looks ~just so~, and that isn't something you can recreate in a chatroom. Hoping to read some threads, learn the lingo, offer my 2 cents & not make too much a fool of myself while doing it, and maybe make my first website when I have some time!

And finally, a fun fact: The "ROV" in my name stands for "Remotely-Operated Vehicle", which are those human-less submarine thingies used to browse the ocean floor, and like my namesake, I'm a curious little creature here to explore the environment I've found myself in.

So...yeah. Hello world!! /)

{ ROV or Haddie } { server time - 8 } { pings welcome }
{ always exploring }
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

iMood: Commodorn

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023 @210.60 »

Hello, welcome to this part of the web! I'm working on a crochet project as well; it's an afghan I'm making from one of the patterns in a pattern magazine I have from around the '70s. Would you mind sharing what you're working on specifically?

Try not to worry too much about making a fool of yourself, by the way. From what you've written so far, you seem to fit in very well here already :O)

"Please, captain. Not in front of the Klingons."
HadalpelagicROV

but that's such a messy word, "forever" --

StatusCafe: demipalladium

View Profile

First 1000 Members!Joined 2023!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023 @363.03 »

Hello, welcome to this part of the web! I'm working on a crochet project as well; it's an afghan I'm making from one of the patterns in a pattern magazine I have from around the '70s. Would you mind sharing what you're working on specifically?

Try not to worry too much about making a fool of yourself, by the way. From what you've written so far, you seem to fit in very well here already :O)

Dif-tor heh smusma, Commodorn! :cool: Nice to see another Trekkie. You've reminded me that I need to rewatch TOS sometime. Maybe after finals season!

On the subject of crocheting: An afghan sounds super cool!! I'm relatively new to crochet so such a big project is kind of intimidating to me lol. personally I have a few projects to show:

I've only been crocheting regularly for a few weeks, so right now I'm sorta experimenting with making my stitches regular/consistent, getting the tension down (yarning under instead of over messes with that, who knew? XD), and playing around with different weights of yarn! From left to right, I have:
• Small grey thing and large green thing: two octopuses
-- they both need a couple more arms, green more than grey (the green yarn leaves so much green fuzz over my workspace so I'm putting it off lol)
• Red thing and grey thing, propped up on the back of the couch: two drawstring bags! I need to redo the strings -- just not happy with how they are currently
• Yellowish-white star and purple star: these both need a matching star so I can stitch them together and stuff them to get little star plushes

it's been a very fun time finding patterns online! though I have always wanted to see one of those old crochet magazines.

Also, thank you for the reassurances! Here's hoping lol!

{ ROV or Haddie } { server time - 8 } { pings welcome }
{ always exploring }
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

View Profile WWW

Participated in the 2023 Profile Design Contest!First 1000 Members!Mushroom MadnessMessage BuddyJoined 2023!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023 @619.59 »

Dif-tor heh smusma, Commodorn! :cool:
Sochya eh dif. ;O)

Those are very nice for practice projects! This may sound like a very boring reason to like something, but I enjoy the practicality and visibility of the red bag; it looks perfect for carrying around mysterious rocks and herbs. --Which are also very practical, of course..    The grey octopus also reminds me a lot of the old Christmas elf decorations my family has-- the swirling stitch that makes up the tentacles looks a lot like what was used to make the arms of the elves. Sometimes I wonder just how long certain crafting techniques have really been around..

..Anyway, I'm actually quite new to crocheting as well! Thankfully, the pattern I'm using is relatively simple.. all it uses are (US) chain, single, and double stitches to make a pattern that's not much more than somewhat elegant stripes. I have an image I uploaded earlier for another post. If you'd like me to send you a scanned image of the guide, I'd be happy to store a request in my brain to send it to you when I find the magazine again. Although, that could end up being a few months to a few years from now-- most of my books are in moving boxes currently..

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023 @795.93 »

What kind of language is that? Arabic? No offense to any arabs but some Arabic words (especially the ones with "R's")
Sound like someone clearing their throat. Again, no offense. Just saying what I think.
Melooon
Hero Member ⚓︎

So many stars!

SpaceHey: Friend Me!
StatusCafe: melon
iMood: Melonking
Itch.io: My Games

View Profile WWW

First 1000 Members!spring 2023!Squirtle!!!!MIDI WarriorMIDI Warrior1234 Posts!OzspeckCool Dude AwardRising Star of the Web AwardMessage BuddyPocket Icelogist!OG! Joined 2021!The Smallest Ozwomp Known To ManBug!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023 @3.25 »

Hi Haddie, welcome to the forum  :4u:

Happy to here you found your way to this part of the web and are enjoying your time! Those are all good intrests! I bought a watercolour set a few months ago and Iv reaallyyy been meaning to spend more time with it, I really enjoy the process of making an image drip into existence  :grin:

Would you every be interested in being part of a forum watercolour club?? (Im not sure if there will ever actually be one  :tongue: )

Also glad you enjoyed the manifesto  :blush:  Sometimes I re-read it and Im like "Woah I forgot that!"!!

Hope you enjoy your time here!

☀︎☁︎☻→ You've Received Melon's Welcome Pack! ←☻✌︎☀︎

What kind of language is that? Arabic? No offense to any arabs but some Arabic words (especially the ones with "R's")
Sound like someone clearing their throat. Again, no offense. Just saying what I think.
I believe they are speaking Vulcan, which is a fan language from the Star Trek series. An afghan is a type of blanket  :ok:
However you are correct; most languages have different sounds; English does not tend to use throat (guttural) sounds, but many other languages do such as Arabic and Irish.

everything lost will be recovered, when you drift into the arms of the undiscovered
Commodorn
Full Member ⚓︎

Major Dork

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023 @43.18 »

I believe they are speaking Vulcan, which is a fan language from the Star Trek series. An afghan is a type of blanket  :ok:
However you are correct; most languages have different sounds; English does not tend to use throat (guttural) sounds, but many other languages do such as Arabic and Irish.
I apologize, but this pulled me out of my periodical humorlessness for a few moments.. It is indeed Vulcan, and you can hear the phrase "Dif-tor heh smusma" (ENG: "Live long and prosper") at the end of Spock's interaction with the other Vulcans in this scene. Doing research on Vulcan language can get messy because of the nature of it, but this site is one of the various "Vulcan Dictionary" sites I've found so far if you're interested in glancing through it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Melonking.Net © Always and ever was! SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies Forum Guide | Rules | RSS | WAP2

MelonLand Badges and Other Melon Sites!

MelonLand Project! Visit the MelonLand Forum! Support the Forum
Visit Melonking.Net! Visit the Gif Gallery! Pixel Sea TamaNOTchi